Volleyball clinches spot in tourney

By JACQUE SKOWVRONStaff Writer

Champions don’t get discouraged. Champions don’t dwell on shortcomings. Champions learn from… Champions don’t get discouraged. Champions don’t dwell on shortcomings. Champions learn from fallen battles and keep fighting. Champions never give up.

The Pitt volleyball team, defenders of the Big East title, clinched a spot in the conference championship series with a victory over Seton Hall Sunday afternoon. Before earning their seventh conference win of the season, the Panthers were handed their first Big East loss since 2003, dropping a close match to Rutgers.

Not only was Pitt (19-6 overall, 7-1 Big East) faced with the challenges of its opponents, but an injury to senior Megan Miller presented another obstacle for this team to overcome. Miller was injured in practice earlier in the week, and as a result, was unable to play in either match Friday or Sunday.

“We lost her leadership on the court,” head coach Chris Beerman said. “But we rearranged our lineup and fought hard.”

Rutgers 3, Pitt 2

Pitt fought with heart and dedication, but in the end, the Panthers’ eight-match winning streak came to an end in a five-game battle against Rutgers Friday evening.

The Scarlet Knights (15-9, 3-5) took the first game 30-26 before Pitt captured game two 30-22. Again, Rutgers regained the lead in the match with a 30-25 win in game three. The Panthers weren’t about to give up, and proved their strength, tying the match in game four with a 30-21 victory before falling 15-13 in the fifth and final game of the match.

“This group just needs some time to play together,” Beerman said, regarding the changes made in the absence of Miller, “but they’re doing a great job.”

Junior Gini Ullery and freshman Diana Andreyko both racked up enough kills in the match to earn season-high numbers. Ullery, with 25 digs, and Andreyko, with 22 digs, didn’t stop there. Ullery added a career-high 68 swings, eight digs and four blocks. Andreyko hit .397 and had seven digs for the Panthers.

Libero Megan McGrane earned a team-best 28 digs, while sophomore setter Azadeh Boroumand racked up 62 assists, 11 digs and four kills in the loss.

Pitt 3, Seton Hall 0

There was no time to dwell on Friday’s defeat. A day and a half and 30 miles later, the Panthers left their loss in Piscataway, N.J., and traveled to South Orange, N,J., to take on Seton Hall.

Without looking back, Pitt swept the Pirates (9-21, 2-6) Sunday afternoon and moved into a three-way tie for first place in the conference. Syracuse defeated UConn, and Notre Dame lost to Boston College. Pitt, Syracuse and Notre Dame all currently hold 7-1 conference records.

Junior Ashley White — playing for the injured Miller — had a standout performance in the Panthers’ victory against the Pirates. White connected on 11 of her 20 attempts with just one error, for a .500 hitting percentage.

“Ashley is a very talented player and really stepped up for us this weekend,” Beerman said. He added that he was proud of White’s performance and is confident in her abilities.

Andreyko added 15 kills and five digs in the three-game match. Ullery provided 23 kills, six digs and three blocks.

Pitt won the three-game match with scores of 30-28, 30-17 and 30-24. With this victory, the Panthers are just one win away from their fourth 20-win season in the last five years.

This weekend, Pitt will visit both Syracuse and Notre Dame. All three schools have clinched spots in the Big East Championships, leaving one remaining spot. Friday, the Panthers will play at the Joyce Center in Notre Dame, Ind., before traveling to Syracuse on Sunday.

“We have the power to control our own destiny,” Beerman said.

Volleyball action will resume at the Fitzgerald Field House with the start of the Big East Tournament Nov. 20.