Kerry concedes race; Bush re-elected

It is over.

After an evening and a morning of anxiety without answers in a nation divided… It is over.

After an evening and a morning of anxiety without answers in a nation divided under the same flag, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., called the White House and spoke with President George W. Bush. He conceded the presidential race to the incumbent, offering his congratulations to Bush on his re-election.

Kerry was scheduled to give a concession speech at Boston’s Faneuil Hall at 1 p.m. yesterday, but did not show until 45 minutes later. After his running mate John Edwards introduced him, Kerry apologized to the crowd of supporters for “getting here a little bit late, and a little bit short.”

Although Bush won the poplar vote by approximately 3.5 million ballots, it all came down to Ohio in the Electoral College. Voters in some Cleveland and Cincinnati precincts reported waiting in line to vote until past 2 a.m. yesterday. Bush maintained a 136,000-vote lead in the state once precincts reported votes, although CNN reported approximately 175,000 provisional and absentee ballots remained unrecorded.

Kerry concluded that even if all provisional ballots in Ohio were counted, he had no possibility of winning the state’s 20 electoral votes. He and Edwards promised the people that every vote would be counted to ensure everyone’s voice was heard.

“This election should be decided by the voters, not by a protracted legal process,” Kerry said.

In an emotional address, Kerry thanked his family, friends and all voters from every party for casting ballots yesterday. He assured those who voted for him that they “made a difference, and building on that, we will make a difference again.”

Kerry also stressed the importance of strengthening the economy and the necessity of winning the war on terror, including success in Iraq.

“I have found during this campaign that America is not only great, but good,” Kerry said. “America always moves forward.”

Less than an hour later, Bush appeared with Vice President Dick Cheney and their families at Reagan Center in Washington, DC, to give a victory address. Cheney praised Republican gains in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives.

“The president received more popular votes than any other candidate in history,” Cheney said. Bush received over 58.8 million votes in his bid for re-election.

Bush praised Kerry and his supporters, saying, “the senator was very gracious, and he waged a spirited campaign.”

In a nation divided along partisan lines, Bush and Kerry pleaded for unity between political parties, saying it was necessary to heal the nation’s wounds.

“We have one country, one Constitution, and one future that binds us all,” Bush said.

After thanking his family and all campaign volunteers, the president expressed pride in past accomplishments and hope for future challenges, saying the United States was “entering a season of hope.”

“Our people have restored the vigor of this economy,” Bush said, “and America has shown resolve and patience fighting a new kind of war.”

He committed his next term to aiding the efforts to create democracy in Afghanistan and Iraq, and continuing growth of the economy.

At the end of Bush and Kerry’s addresses, both offered the same simple prayer to a country facing serious challenges at home and abroad.

“God bless America,” both men said.