Kerry seeks fans in Ohio

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Amid thousands of his supporters, presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry,… CLEVELAND, Ohio — Amid thousands of his supporters, presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., stood in the chill wafting off Lake Erie, making his last bid for votes before the people of the United States go to the polls today.

Last night, people packed between Cleveland City Hall and the Cuyahoga County Courthouse to hear Kerry’s last campaign address, after a performance by rock icon Bruce Springsteen.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich and former Sen. John Glenn, both Democrats from Ohio, addressed the crowd before Kerry appeared. In an energetic talk, Kucinich told the citizens of Cleveland that “this is our moment.”

“This city, this county and this state will lead the country in electing John Kerry,” Kucinich shouted.

Glenn spoke briefly about President George W. Bush’s approach to the threat of terrorism.

“[Bush’s administration] did not prepare to go from combat to control to peace in Iraq,” Glenn said.

“It is not leadership to surround yourself with ideologues with plans of their own,” he added, referring to Bush’s dismissal of officials who opposed the invasion of Iraq.

Springsteen then took the stage, singing acoustic versions of his hits “The Promised Land” and “Thunder Road.” He dedicated a rendition of “No Surrender” to Kerry and his wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry.

“I believe American government has strayed too far from American values,” Springsteen said, explaining his endorsement of Kerry. “We need good and trustworthy public servants to realize our ideals.”

Heinz Kerry introduced her husband, promising he would lead with “compassion, strength and pride, without arrogance.”

In Kerry’s address, he hearkened back to the beginning of his campaign with running-mate Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., in Cleveland several months ago. He thanked the crowd of more than 10,000 people for their warm welcome.

Kerry repeated his promises to refuse the privatization social security, to raise the minimum wage, and to reduce health hazards like polluted waterways and mercury poisoning.

Referring to Glenn’s historic pioneering of space travel, Kerry committed himself to investments in science, including the controversial stem-cell research.

Addressing the war on terror, Kerry said the United States would win under his presidency.

“Just because George W. Bush can’t do it, doesn’t mean it can’t be done,” Kerry said. He promised to seek aid and advice from the international community on solving worldwide threats of terror.

Kerry concluded by noting recent voter fraud across the country. He promised that “not only will every vote count, but every vote will be counted.”

Ohio, along with neighbor Pennsylvania, has been hotly contested by Kerry and Bush. The two states possess 41 electoral votes between them, which could decide the election. A recent USA Today poll showed Kerry marginally ahead of Bush in Ohio.

Kerry’s promise to champion a floundering middle class rang true in Cleveland, the largest city in a state with 1.1 million people in poverty. Local politicians who also spoke at the event endorsed Kerry’s plans to address minority rights and the causes of organized labor.

To those in Ohio who need economic help, Kerry simply stated, “I’ve got your back.”