This message in a bottle will surface in Pittsburgh

By AMY WILLIAMS

Strange. Eerie. Captivating. Those are just a few words that came to mind while listening to… Strange. Eerie. Captivating. Those are just a few words that came to mind while listening to Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti. Their newest release, The Doldrums is as experimental as they come.

It was first a homemade CD-R that the artist recorded by himself with a guitar, bass, keyboard and an 8-track. Surprisingly, he made the drumming sounds on the album with his mouth.

As if out of a time capsule, Ariel Pink’s Haunted Grafitti will send you back to retro, ’80s keyboard-based sound, experimental late-’70s rock, ’60s hippie-style music and the light sounds of elevator music. Ariel Pink’s music would be perfect in a movie sequence where someone is experiencing a bad acid trip.

The sounds are distant and very low-fi, a drastic difference from professional, clean-cut recordings that are typically found in record stores. Songs like “Among Dreams” are replicas of how the Bee Gees would sound if they had gone experimental instead of pop.

It plays as if it were a message in a bottle, sealed up 20 years ago. And then, when found today, it’s completely saturated and water-damaged after the wear and tear of being out at sea for years. It is comforting and soothing, yet completely confusing. Ariel made this CD with no shame — laying heart, soul and creativity on the table with a mixture of sounds that is unlike anything released within the past 10 years.

Capturing this sound live will be nothing but a challenge. Ariel has such moldy vocals throughout his tracks that playing live will most likely exhibit more clarity than the CD itself. Completely experimental and rough around the edges, it’s perfect art rock to be played at a venue like Garfield Artworks.

Take a step outside the box. Observe an artist at work. Experience something that you will never experience again.

Ariel Pink will step outside the box at Garfield Artworks on November 22nd. For more information call (412) 361-2262.