Soundtrack a hip mix of chart-topping artists

By SHANI ALSTONStaff Writer

Shark Tale: Motion Picture Soundtrack

Various Artist

Dreamworks Records

Two and a… Shark Tale: Motion Picture Soundtrack

Various Artist

Dreamworks Records

Two and a half stars

For an animated film about fish and sharks competing beneath the ocean, the “Shark Tale” soundtrack is a surprisingly hip collection of R’B, pop and rap artists who wouldn’t typically be associated with talking animals.

The album is almost on Top 40 overload, featuring popular musicians such as Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, D12, Ludacris and Sean Paul. However, the TRL stars exist in musical harmony on the soundtrack since they all have their own individual songs and collaborations.

The songs in the soundtrack are placed into the movie like the few missing pieces of a “Shark Tale” puzzle, but unlike a puzzle, the songs stand well on their own. An appreciation for the movie is not required to enjoy the soundtrack. In fact, the CD would be a good addition to the collection of those who enjoy the featured artists.

Most of the songs are upbeat and light, just like the movie. “Three Little Birds” brings the reggae beat as Sean Paul and Ziggy Marley spread the “don’t worry, be happy” message. Justin Timberlake and Timbaland collaborate on “Good Foot,” a dance-friendly R’B track with plenty of Timbaland’s signature mumbling in the background. D12 is probably the most out of place on the soundtrack, but they do a humorous song in the same vein as their hit “My Band,” only without the swearing or Eminem.

Some of the lesser-known artists have the most interesting tracks. “Digits” by fan_3 is a manic Spanish rap/pop song that has a fun beat and catchy chorus. “Get it Together,” a slower song by India.Arie, is a bit more serious compared to the rest of the songs, but it is a welcome contrast.

Not all of the songs on the soundtrack work. “Secret Love” by JoJo is nicely sung but hampered by a boring melody and flat lyrics. Christina Aguilera and Missy Elliot collaborate on “Car Wash,” a cluttered remake of the better 1970s song. With all of the extra instruments, electronic enhancements, Aguilera’s voice rifts and Elliot’s uninspired rap interlude, the new version proves that most good songs should just be left alone.

The “Shark Tale” soundtrack is an entertaining collection of new songs and can be enjoyed by anyone who likes most of the featured artists. For a distraction during a workout or some music to fill up the space between classes, this CD will do the job.