Volleyball team continues streak

By JACQUE SKOWVRONStaff Writer

The Pitt Volleyball team (16-5 overall, 4-0 Big East) battled through two hard-fought matches… The Pitt Volleyball team (16-5 overall, 4-0 Big East) battled through two hard-fought matches this past weekend to extend its winning streak to six games and remain unbeaten in Big East conference play.

By combining standout individual performances with improved teamwork, the Panthers were able to hold both matches to only three games. And while the team members know they are improving, they also realize that they must keep improving in order to recapture the Big East title.

“I think we’re getting things together and starting to play as a team, but we could’ve played better,” head coach Chris Beerman said. He and the team realize the journey ahead of them isn’t going to be an easy one, but with hard work and dedication, it’s one they can overcome.

Pitt 3, Georgetown 0

Saturday, at the Fitzgerald Field House, Gini Ullery recorded a double-double for the Panthers, racking up 14 digs and 14 kills. Teammates Megan Miller and Diana Andreyko added 14 kills each as well, to help Pitt capture a victory over the Hoyas.

Andreyko, a freshman starter, stated that she’s ready to work hard to prove herself, and help the team win another Big East Title.

“[Winning] is hard. There is lots of responsibility, but it’s so rewarding,” Andreyko said.

With scores of 30-28, 31-29 and 30-28 in the three games, Pitt had to stay focused in order to defeat Georgetown for its third conference win. Libero Megan McGrane had a match-high 17 digs, and Panther setter Azadeh Boroumand led the team, racking up 43 assists. Senior Abby Fechhelm finished with eight kills and a hitting average of .444.

“Abby was consistent in both games for us and was a big part of our wins this weekend,” Miller said about Fechhelm’s performance over the weekend.

Pitt 3, Villanova 0

The Panthers ended the third and final game in the same way they started the match — with power.

Ullery laid down a screaming kill on the opposite side of the court, and as the ball bounced just out of the reach of the Villanova players, Pitt celebrated its sixth consecutive victory.

Andreyko, two-time Big East Rookie of the Week, led the team with 20 kills and a season-best 15 digs to record a double-double for the match. She also had three blocks for Pitt. Ullery, who also finished with a double-double, had 16 kills and 14 digs.

Boroumand, who is averaging 18 assists per game, also contributed a double-double in the Panthers’ victory. McGrane tied her school record for most digs in a three-game match, racking up 28 for the third time this season.

The Panthers’ strong momentum carried them through the first two games, but following the standard 10-minute break between the second and third games, Pitt resumed play slightly sluggishly.

“[The 10-minute break] has been debated for a long time. Coming back to the match after it is almost like starting over,” Beerman said. “When you’re up two games to none, it can be very hard to stay focused and the momentum of the match can change.”

Although Pitt had a hard time regaining its fiery passion at the start of the third game, the team was able to focus and finish with a strong 30-23 win to wrap up the match.

The Panthers have now won 10 consecutive games against Big East opponents, dating back to last season. Pitt will wrap up its home schedule next weekend as it faces Boston College Oct. 30, and UConn Oct. 31. Both matches are set to start at 2 p.m. at the Fitzgerald Field House.