Renovated library worth another look

By ERIN CLARKE

The newly renovated Carnegie Library might be an alternative place to spend some study time…. The newly renovated Carnegie Library might be an alternative place to spend some study time.

Complete with new rooms and entrances, comfy chairs and a cafe, the library boasts a look that blends technology with some of the historic architecture from the old building.

Before renovations began in June 2003, the library had not been altered since its 1895 inception. On Oct. 3, the main branch in Oakland re-opened its doors to let the public experience a new and improved building.

Architects knocked down walls and extended the first floor to make a reading deck with an outdoor bamboo garden, magazine room and Internet cafe-style workstations. The bridge that allows access to this area was made with some of the building’s original glass panels, giving the impression, as one walks, that the floor is made of large ice cubes.

Light is a theme central to the new library. Many walls and staircases have been replaced with glass paneling to illuminate the area and make it more conducive to finding things.

“The purpose is to make the library easier for customers to use and open it up” said Lane Cigna, communications manager of the main branch library. “You’ll notice that it’s a lot brighter in here.”

Before changes were made, customers filled out surveys and participated in focus groups to express how they perceived the library. Many agreed that Carnegie Library was confusing and a bit overwhelming.

Large LCD screens now sit in many of the rooms, displaying information, news and interesting tidbits about Pittsburgh. The staff promises to move any stumbling block that sits between a patron and her needs.

“If you’re a student and looking for something, getting to know your librarian is key” Cigna said.

Upon first entering the library, patrons will first notice the New and Featured room, which houses the current books, bestsellers and a new Africana department.

“These books were interspersed throughout the library, and we put them together with the help of Pitt’s Africana department,” library assistant Celeta Hickman said of the collection, which includes books ranging from Langston Hughes’ “The Best of Simple” to Carl Weber’s “Baby Momma Drama.”

“The section is growing,” Hickman added.

The upper floors of Carnegie could be called the “serious research” floors. The Pennsylvania Department is a good place to not only find historical pictures of the city, but also to ask any question on your mind.

How many miles is it from Oakland to Moscow? They’ll know the answer.

Deep in the back corner of the uppermost floor lies the Job, Career and Education Center. Students of all ages can get one-on-one assistance from the library staff, or search through the online database to find useful material.

If shelling out money to Kaplan or Princeton Review doesn’t sound like a good idea, the Learn-A-Test software is a free service that allows students to take practice graduate-level and civil service exams.

Cigna also advises business students to take advantage of the business library staff, who are temporarily working at the main branch until the 612 Smithfield building is completely renovated.

The only downfall is that the Carnegie Library is not open until 2 a.m. It closes at 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 5:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 5 p.m. on Sunday.