Students weigh in on Freshman 15

By MARIA MASTERSStaff Writer

Most incoming college students hear about the Freshman 15 before they even arrive on campus…. Most incoming college students hear about the Freshman 15 before they even arrive on campus. But freshman Kristin King found herself skeptical about gaining weight.

“At first, I thought it was a lack of willpower, and not serious, but I heard it over and over and realized it was really popular,” she said.

The rumor: First-year college students, more often women than men, gain a total of 15 pounds during their first year of school.

Resident Assistant Aysha Caram sees the weight gain, to some degree.

“A lot has to do with increased stress level,” she said. “With more stress, you turn to food.”

Joanne Malenock, a registered dietitian and staff member of Pitt’s School of Medicine, agrees. She attributes weight gain to stress more than overindulgence.

Malenock encourages other types of ways of dealing with stress; the worst way of dealing is eating, she said.

“Best would be an increase in physical activity or meditation,” Malenock said.

Malenock explained that this could be more difficult for some people, because everyone tends to establish eating patterns in childhood. For instance, if a 4-year-old sees her parents dealing with stress by eating, she may later adopt the behavior, Malenock said.

But stress is just one of the many theories about the actual causes of the Freshman 15. Malenock also cites inactivity as a reason for weight gain.

“From looking at data of sophomores, if they gained weight, it was because they were sedentary,” she said.

Yet Malenock believes the University does a good job of promoting health.

“There are centers around that let you exercise — more on Pitt’s campus,” she said. “There are also informal programs at the University that talk about exercise.”

But fear of the Freshman 15 motivates other students to watch their weights, according to one resident assistant.

“A lot of girls work out and take care of themselves,” Caram said. “The Freshman 15 is sort of like an ongoing joke.”

In fact, some students on campus notice weight loss instead of weight gain. Junior Jenifer Haynes said it’s possible to go either way.

“My one friend lost five pounds, and my other friend gained 20,” Haynes said. “They either go extreme one way, extreme the other, or stay the same.”

Combined with the newly acquired freedom, a lot of students aren’t used to having as many eating options.

“There is no mom or kitchen,” Caram said. “And what is cheap is not always the healthiest.”

Martin Millner, who oversees the dining program on Pitt’s campus, chooses meals to serve by listening to the student body governments and their requests.

The foods at Pitt are typical college foods: burgers, fries, pizza and chicken. But they also have grab-and-go salads and pre-packaged meals for students on the run. Healthier foods include salad bars, delis and vegetarian lines.

Sarah Z. George, a freshman and a vegetarian, exercises at the Pete and watches what she eats.

“I have lost 10 pounds since coming to Pitt,” she said, explaining that she walks and doesn’t keep snacks in her dorm.

But dietician Malenock said students don’t have to cut out junk food altogether, as long as they eat fruits, vegetables, dairy products and meat or meat substitutes.

“Occasionally, you can deal with the classic dessert,” she said. “Almost any food is OK if it is in moderation.”

But for the most part, obesity or drastic weight gain doesn’t seem to be a problem at Pitt.

“When I go to the Cathedral, I don’t see many obese students,” Malenock said.

But while Pitt’s campus has physical fitness centers and offers a wide variety of healthy foods, it is up to the students to make the final decisions.

“It’s about having the healthy option available when the student chooses,” Millner said