Packers-Redskins game could have political implications

PHILADELPHIA – It will be their first meeting in 25 years, and although neither team has a… PHILADELPHIA – It will be their first meeting in 25 years, and although neither team has a winning record, the outcome of the game between Green Bay and Washington on Sunday at FedEx Field has huge national, and international, ramifications.

Sure, the Packers are trying to build on a two-game winning streak that has propelled them back into the NFL playoff race. And certainly the Redskins, fresh off their bye week, want to atone for their unacceptable 2-4 start in Joe Gibbs’ return to coaching.

But more than just Green Bay and Washington fans will nervously await this game’s outcome.

George W. Bush and John Kerry certainly will, too.

Since 1936, when the franchise moved from Boston to Washington, the Redskins’ pre-election performance at home has predicted the presidential winner. When the Skins have won their last home game before the election, the party holding the presidency has kept it. When the Skins’ opponent has won, so too has the presidential challenger.

“That’s kind of amazing,” Gibbs told the Washington Post this week. “You wouldn’t think that something like that would live up that many times.”

But it has, 17 consecutive times now.

In honor of Tuesday’s great sporting matchup – the election – here are a few events that could foreshadow how the three major swing states’ voters respond at the polls.

Florida. On Monday, after compiling a 20-13 record in the last 2{ seasons that included an embarrassing loss to Mississippi State on Saturday, Ron Zook was fired as the Florida Gators’ football coach. While Zook will be allowed to coach the Gators’ final four games this season, Florida already has begun its coaching search.

Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops, Louisville’s Bobby Petrino and Utah’s Urban Meyer have been mentioned as possible replacements, but the Florida fans know which coach they want.

Steve Spurrier.

If the ol’ ball coach, who reportedly has enjoyed his newfound unemployment after two unsuccessful seasons coaching the Redskins, decides this week to embark on a second term with the Gators, the presidential nod in Florida will go to … Bush.

Ohio. On Friday, Lydell Ross, Ohio State’s senior running back and team cocaptain, was indefinitely suspended after he admitted to using in-house currency (not legal tender) at a local strip club. Ross did not play in the Buckeyes’ win over Indiana on Saturday, but returned this week and practiced with the scout team as Ohio State prepared for its game against Penn State.

Wearing a No. 26 jersey, Ross played the role of Penn State tailback Tony Hunt for Ohio State’s first-team defense.

If the Buckeyes’ leading rusher with 343 yards and three touchdowns is sidelined for another game, the presidential nod in Ohio will go to … Kerry.

Pennsylvania. With Tommy Maddox sidelined by an elbow injury, Steelers rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has gone 4-0 as a starter, and Pittsburgh has emerged as one of the surprises of the NFL season.

Against Dallas last week, Roethlisberger completed 21 of 25 passes for 193 yards and two touchdowns, posting a 125.5 passer rating. He became the first rookie to win the AFC’s player of the week honor since Denver running back Mike Anderson won it in Week 14 of the 2000 season.

This week, Roethlisberger and the Steelers host the defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, who have won 21 straight games, including a record 18 consecutive regular-season tilts.

If the incumbent takes out the rookie, the presidential nod in Pennsylvania will go to … Bush.

While Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania remain in play on the presidential campaign trail, the only proven link between a football team and the election outcome is with the Redskins.

After beating Chicago two weeks ago, Washington had last weekend off. Even so, the Redskins boast the NFL’s No. 1 defense, allowing just 234.2 yards per game, and they are first against the run (allowing an average of 86.7 yards per game) and third against the pass (147.5).

The Packers have the second-ranked offense, averaging 399.1 yards per game, including 274.7 through the air, good for third best in the league.

So who will win this game?

The presidential candidates surely can’t wait to find out.

(c) 2004, The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Visit Philadelphia Online, the Inquirer’s World Wide Web site, at http://www.philly.com/

Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

—–

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099):

Packers