Intramural football is all some people have left

By MATT MILOSZEWSKI

It begins in October. Oct. 4 to be exact. No, not the Steelers’ nose dive, or the hockey lock… It begins in October. Oct. 4 to be exact. No, not the Steelers’ nose dive, or the hockey lock out, or even the basketball season. I am referring to the most important season of them all, intramural football.

For all of those contact junkies, and us former football players, this is all we have left. Everyone who plays understands exactly what I am talking about. For one day a week, a group of seven to 10 friends will head up past Trees Hall, behind the Cost Center, and do battle.

The 70-yard-long, turf field hosts everyone from frat boys to dental students to law students. Gender is also irrelevant, as many women participate. This is one of the last few athletic feats many of us will have a chance to complete; thus, we take it very seriously. (When do men take sports too seriously? Never, ladies, never.)

Last season, it was so serious for my team that some of us sacrificed and played injured. My team finished the regular season undefeated 6-0, but game six was not exactly perfect. With a 35-0 lead, I tipped a pass, then tried to make an interception. Unfortunately, my roommate had the same idea, and we collided. Collide is a nice word meaning kneeing someone in the face. I only broke my nose in four places, but got a nose job paid for by the University of Pittsburgh. Thanks, I think.

With our undefeated record, our team, “Uncommonly Smooth,” had a bye in week one of the playoffs. But I was coming back as soon as I had surgery, and I did. Despite our best efforts, my squad was unable to win in the final four, losing a tough game on the final play. Apparently, it is possible to run 50 yards in one-hand touch without getting touched.

Most of my teammates were seniors last year, and, just like everyone else, I needed to find a new team. Just ask around campus and find out whom everyone has, and how they think their team can make a run this year. According to everyone, everybody is good. Yet, that is what makes intramural football so much fun.

A group of friends can head out on a Tuesday night, and either get killed or play the game of their lives, and no matter what, a celebration will occur. Just as the good Pitt students we are, we are looking for an excuse to drink, and football provides us with so many. Intramural football is just one more, and it’s a great reason to get wasted to celebrate a big win on a Monday night.

This drinking talk brings me back to my new team, a group of 10 sophomores who recruited me. The recruiting process was difficult. I needed a team, and they wanted me to start both ways. I liked it. But the most important part of intramural football still remained, the team name.

People who have played in the past know that the team name is important. How many of you look at the name of your next opponents and think, “That is a terrible name, they must be bad?” I do it, and I am sure most of you out there do too. Nothing builds confidence for a game like seeing your opposition is named the “wonder boys,” or “the Eagles rule.” On the other hand, nothing prepares someone for seeing a name like the “young gunnerz.” You just know by that hard name that your team is in for a good game.

In this game, it is all about fun — well, winning is more important. Just make sure when October rolls around that your team is ready for some fun and a battle. After all, it will be hard to take down my new squad, “the Kings of Drunk” this fall. All 100 or so teams will try, and have a great time no matter what. Except against the Kings that is.

Matt Miloszewski is a columnist for the Pitt News, and can’t wait for intramural football in his fifth and final season here. He also wonders if he gets a veteran bonus for being in the intramural league the longest.