Pitt softball swept by Seton Hall, defeats St. John’s

By ALAN SMODIC

Pitt softball continued its Big East woes last Friday when it was swept in a doubleheader by… Pitt softball continued its Big East woes last Friday when it was swept in a doubleheader by Seton Hall, but rebounded on Sunday with a doubleheader sweep of its own against St. John’s.

Seton Hall 3, Pitt 0

Pitt received a quality start from pitcher Meghan Bostick, but was unable to score any runs for her and the Panthers were shutout by the Seton Hall Pirates.

Seton Hall scored its first two runs of the game off home runs by Laura Taylor in the second inning and Mary Carroll Smith leading off in the fifth. Seton Hall starting pitcher Megan Meyer was on cruise control in game one, striking out nine without a walk and allowing just four hits in seven innings. The win improves her record to 13-4 on the season.

With just one out in the fourth inning, Christa Hunter doubled for one of the Panthers’ four hits in the game, but was left stranded at the end of the inning.

Bostick pitched the complete game for Pitt, allowing three runs on eleven hits, while striking out eight.

Seton hall 7, Pitt 3

In the second game of the doubleheader, Seton Hall scored two runs on a two-run double by D’arcy Djakalovic in the third inning for an early 2-0 Pirates lead.

Pitt was able to get a run on the board as Beth Gill scored on a wild pitch to close the Pirate lead to just one. Taylor and Lindsay Trottier connected on back-to-back home runs for Seton Hall in the fourth, bringing the score to 4-1.

In the fifth, Seton Hall added one more run, but Pitt would answer back with two runs of its own in the sixth inning. Casey Pickard led off the inning with a solo home run for the Panthers. With the hit, Pickard tied the school record with 117 career hits. Later in the inning, Francesca DiMaria singled, driving in Jen O’Donnell from third.

On the mound for Pitt, Laura Belardinelli allowed eight hits for five runs, while striking out four and walking two in four and one-thirds innings. Bostick pitched the final two and two-thirds innings, allowing three hits for two runs, while striking out three.

Pitt 2, St. John’s 1

In the first game of the doubleheader, St. John’s Allina Sainz delivered a RBI double to deep left field, giving the Red Storm a 1-0 lead in the first.

After a couple of walks placed runners on first and third with two outs, Pitt evened the score at 1-1 in the bottom of the fifth inning on a RBI single by DiMaria.

The game came to an end in the bottom of the seventh when Pitt’s Hunter drew a bases loaded walk with two outs to force home the game-winning run.

Pitt 4, St. John’s 3

In the bottom of the first inning in game two, Pitt scored the first run of the game when Gill singled, stole second and eventually scored on a throwing error while attempting to steal third.

The Panthers added another run in the bottom of the second inning to take a 2-0 lead. With runners on the corners and two outs, Sheena Hellon lined the ball off St. John’s pitcher Brittany Crouch. The ball got away, allowing the run to score.

Pitt then scored for the third consecutive inning, taking a 3-0 lead when Lisa McGregor lined a two-out RBI double to left field.

The Red Storm’s Christina Tucker put St. John’s on the board with a lead-off home run in the top of the sixth to shorten Pitt’s lead to two. In the next inning, St. John’s tied the game with a two-run homer off the bat of Tami Hill.

Pitt completed the sweep in the bottom of the eighth inning on a walk-off RBI single by Hunter. The Panthers put runners on first and second with no outs on a walk and a fielder’s choice and Hunter followed with a single up the middle to drive in the winning run.

The sweep improves Pitt’s record to 18-26 overall and 3-7 in the Big East. The Panthers will continue Big East play this Sunday when they travel to Providence to take on the Friars.