Softball finally plays at home, drops three of four

By ALAN SMODIC

After waiting through a few days of rain, the softball team was finally able to get its Big… After waiting through a few days of rain, the softball team was finally able to get its Big East season underway over the weekend with a couple of doubleheaders. The results, however, didn?t turn out as the Panthers would have liked.

?It was nice to be outside and play at home,? head coach Michelle Phalen said. ?The weather wasn?t ideal, but it was nice to be at home with a good turnout of fans around us.?

Villanova 5, Pitt 1

Villanova busted open a scoreless game in the fourth inning when the Wildcats scored three runs by way of a three-run blast by Kristen Straight.

Pitt answered with a home run of its own, but the solo shot by Sheena Hellon managed to be the only run the Panthers would score all game. A couple of doubles for the Wildcats in the sixth produced two more runs to give them the final four-run lead.

?Their pitchers did a good job of holding us down, and we weren?t swinging the bats very well,? stated Phalen.

Villanova 13, Pitt 2 (six innings)

In the second game, Pitt jumped out to an early 2-0 lead on a two-run double by Jen O?Donnell.

Pitt was unable to hold its lead for even one inning, when Villanova put up four runs in the second inning and followed that up with another in the third.

A grand slam in the top of the sixth by Villanova?s Allison Wisniewski added four runs to the seven that the Wildcats went on to score in the inning.

On the mound, Laura Belardinelli pitched five innings and allowed 14 hits and 11 runs while striking out two. Meghan Bostick finished the game for the Panthers, allowing two hits and two runs, while walking one batter.

Rutgers 2, Pitt 1

A pitchers? duel took place in the first game of the doubleheader on Sunday as Rutgers walked away with a one-run victory.

Rutgers? Jenny Card belted a solo home run in the third inning to gain the important first run of the game.

The Scarlet Knights would add on to their lead in the sixth, before Pitt?s Hellon produced an RBI single for Pitt?s lone run of the game.

Belardinelli and Bostick, again combined to pitch every inning for Pitt, combining for two strikeouts and two walks in seven innings.

?Laura [Belardinelli] did a great job, but we just weren?t hitting for her. They didn?t score much ? just we couldn?t help out our pitcher,? Phalen said.

Pitt 9, Rutgers 3

Pitt?s offense showed up in the final game and posted a five-run second inning, thanks to pinch-hitter Lisa McGregor?s two-run single. Hellon drew a walk to force home another run, while Heather Andrews drove in two more with a single of her own.

?The kids were getting the bat on the ball with some power behind it,? Phalen said. ?We struggled earlier and on Saturday, but they just all clicked and put it together in this one game.?

In the third, Francesca DiMaria doubled and advanced to third, scoring Pitt?s first run of the inning. A wild pitch by Rutgers allowed Pitt to score two more runs.

The Panthers then added one more run to top the game off with a RBI single from O?Donnell in the sixth.

Bostick pitched five and two-thirds innings, allowing three hits for three runs, striking out two and walking eight. Belardinelli pitched the final inning and allowed one run.

?Meghan did a good job holding them down, but walked a few more than we would have liked,? Phalen said. ?I think the pitchers need to be more consistent and take it to the next level and dominate on the mound, and they are getting there.?

Pitt will travel to St. Francis, Pa., Tuesday, April 6 for a doubleheader with St. Francis. The first game is scheduled to start at 2 p.m.

?They are a scrappy team,? Phalen said. ?It?s always competitive with a team in your own state. I?m hoping we?ll go out and play well and win a couple of games.?