The Sleepy Jackson never gets tired of trying new things

By CLINTON DOGGETT

OK, I got it. The Sleepy Jackson sounds like Galaxie 500 covering Blur. No no, they sound like… OK, I got it. The Sleepy Jackson sounds like Galaxie 500 covering Blur. No no, they sound like the Flaming Lips covering Wilco. No wait, I really got it this time. They sound like Air and Pulp getting together to play Johnny Cash songs.

Either way, it?s clear that Western Australia?s The Sleepy Jackson thrives on chameleon-like shifts from one pop influence to the next, And while these influences seem so easy to pin down on first listen, there also seem to be too many of them to point and fingers. Their music, then, becomes somewhat of a celebration of a feedbag of artists and pop innovations, from Woody Guthrie through John Lennon, from blues to jangle pop. Eventually, the music filters itself through the unique disposition of The Sleepy Jackson front man Luke Steele, whose ear for saccharine textures and inviting choruses is impressive.

Take Lovers, the group?s 2003 debut. It starts with the dreamy feminine chants and digital orchestra of ?Good Lovers,? segues into the brooding boogie-woogie jam of ?Vampire Racecourse? and then to the electro-country of ?Rain Falls for Wind.?

Elsewhere, Steele is unabashed in use of petal steel, breathy backing vocals and heavy electronic filters; in his reliance on a simple ?na na na? to carry a song?s melody. The most noteworthy aspect of Lovers, though, is its absolute meticulousness. While Steele?s melodies never fail to catch the ears, it?s his careful attention to detail that makes each song worth remembering.

Steele, then, could be considered one of modern Pop?s most promising artists. He?s no John Lennon, Damon Albarn or Wayne Coyne yet, but his potential foreshadows a day when he may be.

The Sleepy Jackson will play a 21-and-over show at the Rex Theatre on the South Side on Tuesday. For more information, call (412) 381-6811.