Kill Henry Sugar sings old country like Johnny

By AMY WILLIAMS

Kill Henry Sugar

Love Beach

Surprise Truck Entertainment

Recommended if you…

Kill Henry Sugar

Love Beach

Surprise Truck Entertainment

Recommended if you like: Johnny Cash

Listening to Henry Sugar is like sitting down for a cup of coffee with an old friend. It?s comfortable and simple storytelling, old country like Johnny Cash. It?s best described as a combination between alt country and folk.

Kill Henry Sugar is made up of Erik Della Penna and Dean Sharenow. Penna does all the strings of this project ranging from banjos to acoustic guitars to electric guitars. Sharenow plays a drum kit creating different sounds using brushes and other objects to create a fusion that is a big sound for a little band.

Both of their jobs before their collaboration consisted of playing for large crowds with artists such as Natalie Merchant and Joan Osborne. They met while on tour with Joan Osbourne and realized that they had the same musical aspirations. There started Kill Henry Sugar. Both reside in New York City, but you would have never guessed it with their southern-influenced sound.

Their fifth album together, Love Beach (set for release June 15), is an acoustic country-meets-blues infusion. The intro to the album, ?Viking Burial,? has a bluegrass feel to it while the snare drums keep the steady beat flowing.

?Company We Keep? and ?Middle of the Day? are personal favorites on the album. They are soft lullabies with smooth vocals, soft drumbeats and lazy strumming of guitar. They are perfect songs to listen to calm and sooth you down.

?Cold Was the Ground? brings the alt country to the album. With a touch of electric guitar, this is their most powerful track on the album.

Their versatility from track to track is caused by their imaginative use of sound. Their lyrics are raw storytelling, almost as open and honest as country, but more insightful. Their musical talents bring in a combination of guitars, drums and piano, intertwined to create well-crafted, mellow beats.

You can catch Kill Henry Sugar on May 11 at The Quite Storm Coffeehouse, 5430 Penn Ave. For more information, call (412) 661-9355.