Pitt makes two great comebacks

By RYAN WALKER

Pitt’s baseball team has been making a name for its self by making comebacks in games that… Pitt’s baseball team has been making a name for its self by making comebacks in games that appear out of reach. But when the Panthers had a lead in their second game of a doubleheader against Niagara, they found themselves on the opposite end of the comeback trail.

Pitt 15, Ohio 11

After sophomore outfielder Ben Copeland upped his hit streak to 13 games in the top of the first inning, he was then able to score on a sacrifice fly by Jim Negrych.

Pitt’s lead was short-lived, however, as the Bobcats rallied and scored four runs in the bottom of the first inning. By the end of the fifth inning, Ohio led 11-7, and it appeared as though hope was fading for the Panthers.

Pitt found a way to score runs in a hurry, putting up three in the sixth inning before tying the game at 11 in the eighth inning.

Both offenses were quiet after that, until the top of the 11th inning, when Mike Scanzano hit a two-run single to help push the Panthers past the Bobcats.

Pitt 9, Niagara 8

Through the first three innings of play in Pitt’s home opener at Trees Field, the Panthers were shocked as Niagara’s offense exploded and put up eight runs.

But this Pitt team seems to have a knack for making comebacks.

The Panthers chipped away at Niagara’s lead — two runs in the bottom of the third, three more in the bottom of the fourth. Then, in the bottom of the fifth inning, the Panthers put up another three runs to grab the lead, 9-8.

Copeland went three-for-four with four RBIs and even scored four runs, extending his hit streak to 14 in the process. Head coach Joe Jordano is very excited about the way the young outfielder has been performing lately.

“Ben has been playing outstanding baseball,” Jordano said. “He’s a catalyst for our team and a great leadoff hitter. With him being only a sophomore, we’re thrilled to have him.”

Jordano was obviously happy to get the win, but is concerned about the way his team has been continuously getting itself into precarious situations

“Overall, we’re not playing the type of baseball that I expect us to play,” Jordano said. “We’re young in some areas, but we have some veterans, as well. And I just think that we need to pick up our game and play it the way the way we coach it.”

“That was a great comeback,” Jordano continued. “We did the same thing [against Ohio] when we down 5-1 and came back in that game. But I focus on how we’re playing the game, because I know that that will translate into success no matter who we’re playing. So I’m a little disappointed today.”

Niagara 4, Pitt 3

In the second game of Pitt’s doubleheader, they found themselves in an unfamiliar situation — leading early in the contest.

P.J. Hiser hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the third to help the Panthers jump out to a 3-0 lead. The home run brought Hiser’s season total to seven.

It looked like Pitt was going to hang on and sweep the Purple Eagles, but things unraveled in the sixth inning.

With the bases loaded and two outs, Niagara’s Greg Lehman stepped to the plate and hit a two-run single to give his team its first lead of the game.

With the tying run in scoring position, Tom Cashman and Hiser struck out in order, ending the Panthers’ chance of a comeback.

After the game, Jordano was visibly disappointed in his team’s performance. “I think our pitching is poor right now, with some exceptions,” Jordano said. “I think our offense needs to be more disciplined at the plate. We are fielding well, and we are running the bases well. But we need all four of those areas to be on point in order to be successful.”

Jordano feels that his team is talented enough to be successful in the Big East Conference, but just need to focus and not make the little mistakes that are oftentimes the difference between winning and losing.

“We’ve got great kids on our team, and I know that they try hard and work hard,” Jordano said. “But it’s the team that plays hard, focuses hard, and executes that is going to be successful.”

The Panthers head down to Blacksburg, Va. this weekend where they will play a three-game series against Virginia Tech.

“We’re going to have a very focused practice tomorrow,” Jordano said. “We’ll get after it, and we’ll be prepared.”