Men look to capture eighth straight Big East championship

By MATT SORTINO

The Panthers’ men’s and women’s swimming and diving team will begin competition in the Big… The Panthers’ men’s and women’s swimming and diving team will begin competition in the Big East Championships starting today and ending Saturday at the Nassau County Aquatics Center in East Meadow, N.Y.

Preliminary heats will be held each morning and finals each evening during the three-day event.

On the men’s side, the No. 16 Panthers enter the competition with a 12-2 dual meet record, including a school record for wins in a season. The men have won 18 of the past 21 Big East Championships, including the last seven in a row. It would be an understatement to say that anything less than an eighth straight title for the Panthers would be a disappointment.

“Despite the fact that the conference is becoming more challenging, I would say that we have a positive attitude and that, more than likely, this year’s title is ours to lose,” said head coach Chuck Knoles.

The Panthers are led by senior distance freestyle swimmer Eric Limkemann, a six-time Big East Champion, who will attempt to become only the second Panther in Big East history to win an event four consecutive years at the championships. The past three years, Limkemann has won the 1650-yard freestyle and once again is the favorite this year.

Another Panther looking to conquer the same feat is senior swimmer Randy Gertenbach, who has won the 200-yard breaststroke the last three years at the championship.

On the diving side, the Panthers will be led by senior Matt Schwartz and sophomore Dennis Nemtsanov, who last year earned Honorable Mention All-American Honors.

Easy to say the pressure is on the Panthers this year.

“I feel pressure everyday in practice, at meets; wherever,” said Knoles. “We as coaches are always teaching. I have the best coaching staff in the country and they make it easier. Just look at the Pitt-UConn [basketball] game on Sunday — Pitt was under a lot of pressure, but they came through. I think our kids will do the same, because good athletes do their best when they are under pressure.”

The women will try to improve on last year’s fifth-place finish at the championships. They will be led by Honorable Mention All-American swimmer Carolyne Savini, whose specialty is the backstroke and freestyle events. The Panthers will also look to two-time defending Big East Champion Ryan Redman in the 100-yard breaststroke.

Notre Dame is the team to beat for the women. The Irish will attempt to win their eighth straight championship this weekend.

“I would say, for the women, that Notre Dame is probably unbeatable, but [I] realistically think we could finish as high as third, which would be a move up from last year’s fifth-place finish,” said Knoles.