Pitt drops two games to extend losing streak

By ALAN SMODIC

Pitt’s women’s basketball team dropped its last two games by a total of 65 points. The… Pitt’s women’s basketball team dropped its last two games by a total of 65 points. The first was a 79-44 defeat at the hands of the Boston College Eagles, and the second was a 75-45 loss to the Wildcats of Villanova.

Poor shooting — Pitt was a combined 31 percent for the two games, and just 13 percent from the three-point line — was key in leading Pitt toward its sixth consecutive loss. With the losses, the Panthers’ record fell to 6-14 overall and 2-8 in the Big East.

Boston College 79, Pitt 44

Jennifer Brown had a solid all-around game, scoring eight points and grabbing six rebounds, while Latoya Kincaid and Katie Histed each chipped in with 12 points. However, it wasn’t enough to hold back the Eagles’ 57 percent shooting performance.

Boston College’s hot shooting, in combination with 20 turnovers by Pitt, led to the rout of the Panthers on the Eagles’ home court in Chestnut Hill, Mass., last Thursday.

Pitt opened up scoring the first points, but the small lead didn’t last long. Boston College went on an 11-0 run in the next four minutes to open up the nine-point lead. The Eagles stayed hot in the first half, shooting 55 percent, and developed an advantage of 21 points. Pitt shot just 35 percent from the field and failed to make a three-pointer, leading to a 17-point deficit at halftime.

The second half featured much of the same play, with Pitt managing only two points in the first six and a half minutes. The Panthers never cut the lead to within 20 points for the last 13 minutes of the contest. The win gave Boston College its 12th straight win over Pitt.

Villanova 75, Pitt 45

Pitt’s shooting woes continued and Villanova drained 16 three-pointers on the way to a 30-point victory Sunday afternoon at the Pavilion in Villanova, Pa.

The Wildcats finished the game 16-of-26 from beyond the arc, with 11 of those coming in the first half. Pitt managed to shoot a dismal 10 percent from three-point land for the game.

The Panthers started the game strong, as Brown scored the first four points to give Pitt the 4-0 lead. Villanova got the score back to 10-10 and gradually built up the lead to double digits, taking a commanding 21-point lead at halftime.

In the second half, the Wildcats kept up their tempo, leading off with three consecutive three-pointers to take a 55-28 lead. Villanova’s defense then held Pitt without a field goal for more than 13 minutes.

Kincaid and Histed each led the Panthers with eight points, while Kelly Nash finished with 15 points to lead Villanova.

Pitt returns home tonight for a Big East matchup with Rutgers. Rutgers is 13-8 overall and 5-4 in the Big East and owns a 16-2 all-time record against the Panthers. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Petersen Events Center.