Safari traded for relief

By BEN GREINER Staff Writer

The sky was unbelievably beautiful that October night in 2003; even the greatest poet couldn’t… The sky was unbelievably beautiful that October night in 2003; even the greatest poet couldn’t describe its beauty in words, a few Pitt students said. As the orange sun set over the Indian Ocean and the S.S. Universe Explorer steamed toward Africa from India, Pitt students and Semester at Sea participants Brandon Cohen and Tom Silverman had no idea that shortly, their lives would never be the same again.

The next day, the two men saw a small flyer that would change their lives. It read: “Looking for an alternative to a safari?” Cohen and Silverman had no clue that in a few short days, they’d witness things so heartwarming, yet horrific, that they couldn’t help but leave the experience as different people.

While en route to Africa, people aboard the ship donated whatever they could to help the refugees: clothes, food, books and toiletries, among other things.

“One kid only had two pairs of pants – he gave us one to donate,” Cohen said.

After docking in Tanzania, Cohen, Silverman and about 20 other students from various colleges, including Stanford University and the University of California, Los Angeles boarded a chartered plane scheduled by Stanford activist and student Kjerstin Erickson.

Despite the warnings of the United Nations, Pitt, and the Tanzanian government, the group flew to the town of Kigoma, Tanzania with roughly 1,300 pounds of donations.

While their fellow shipmates were experiencing the thrill of an African safari, Cohen and Silverman were experiencing what they called a “modern day Holocaust.” They were in a place riddled by terrible diseases such as AIDS, smallpox, Ebola and leprosy – a place so bad, the life expectancy was only 38.

“We knew we had to use our good fortune to bring good fortune to others,” Cohen said.

“A lot of times, people in the position to help don’t always know they can help,” Silverman said.

Led by a tour guide, the group met with relief workers and refugees. While in Kigoma, the group spent the next few days helping the refugees and listening to the touching personal stories of those far from home yet close to death.

After returning to Pittsburgh, Cohen and Silverman knew they couldn’t forget their experiences in Africa. In fact, they mentioned how they’d like to inform future Semester at Sea participants about opportunities to help refugees.

“I thought it would be a one-time thing,” Cohen said.

“We were the guinea pigs,” Silverman said. “We want to start a relationship with Semester at Sea.”

Cohen and Silverman are both planning to return to Africa this summer, this time at the Maheba refugee settlement in northern Zambia. Cohen said he’s going to teach.

Silverman, though, said he wants to obtain Portuguese textbooks for the children.

“There are kids from Angola who went to Zambia during the Angolan War,” Silverman said. “They learned English growing up in Zambia but don’t know their home country’s native language – Portuguese.”

Cohen and Silverman are both grateful for their Semester at Sea experience.

“If not for Semester at Sea …” Cohen began.

“This wouldn’t have happened,” Silverman finished.

A charity concert will be held on Saturday, Feb. 7 at 9 p.m. at the Shadow Lounge in East Liberty to raise awareness about African refugees. For more information, call Brandon Cohen at (412) 853-4032.