Haitian celebration remembers an important journalist, activist

By KRISTEN DiLEMMO

“The Agronomist”

Starring Jean Dominique

Directed by Jonathan Demme

“The Agronomist”

Starring Jean Dominique

Directed by Jonathan Demme

To catch an update on current events, we don’t have to think twice about flipping on the radio and tuning into a local news station. But for Haitian journalist Jean Dominique, bringing information to the people was “a risky business.”

Directed by Jonathan Demme (“The Silence of the Lambs”), “The Agronomist” recalls Haiti’s struggle for freedom through the voice of Jean Dominique, a prominent radio journalist murdered for speaking out against oppressive regimes. Demme’s documentary, a tribute to his good friend that took nearly a decade to complete, traces two centuries of power shifts and the efforts of one radio station to promote governmental respect for law and human rights.

Dominique’s purchase of Radio Haiti in 1968 marked the first time a Haitian station broadcasted in vernacular Creole. Radio Haiti was accessible to the masses. Then, Dominique braved the wrath of President-for-Life Jean-Claude “Baby Doc” Duvalier with his unabridged reports of Haitian news, along with the trials of similarly oppressed peoples in surrounding lands. Forced to flee Haiti twice during his career, Dominique spent the periods in exile, anxious to return to his country and continue his vital works.

“The Agronomist,” though concentrating largely on the life of one man, presents a comprehensive, engaging history of Haiti starting with its liberation from France in 1804. It’s often difficult to keep track of the coups and who remains in power at any given time. Though interviews with Jean Dominique or his wife, Michele Montas, keep the message clear: power shifted violently and often, but with few positive results.

Seeing America’s involvement in Haitian history through the eyes of its citizens is a strong focal point of “The Agronomist.” The U.S. occupation, from 1915-34, culminated with the election of Francois “Papa Doc” Duvalier. And U.S. intervention in 1986 assisted in the overthrow of the dictatorial Duvalier line it helped to instate. Although former President Clinton aided the return of exiled President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1994, Aristide’s successor dissolved Parliament and commenced an arbitrary rule.

Demme’s usage of the talking-heads format showcases Dominique’s extraordinary talent as an orator. Dominique earnestly and passionately addresses the camera, recalling the time he spent in jail and his decision to purchase Radio Haiti. After all, Dominique never intended to be a journalist — he was an agronomist, specializing in plant genetics.

“The Agronomist” incorporates horrifying footage of rebellions, dictators rising to power, and the bloody aftermath. Scenes of everyday life in the fields or towns are included, as well. Demme narrates the archival footage with Dominique’s old broadcasts, occasionally cutting to the bullet-riddled facade of Radio Haiti. The building and radio equipment were often targeted. And in April 2000, Jean Dominique was shot to death inside the station.

Demme matches the electric voice of Dominique — both in interview and previous broadcasts — with fast pacing and powerful imagery. “The Agronomist” is an informative, touching tribute to an important figure in the Haitian human rights movement. As Haiti celebrates the bicentennial of its independence, Jean Dominique is a man well remembered.