Panthers fall to Virginia Tech

By RYAN FALOON

The Pitt women’s basketball team played perhaps its best ball of the season for the first 30… The Pitt women’s basketball team played perhaps its best ball of the season for the first 30 minutes of Wednesday’s game against Virginia Tech.

The remaining 10 minutes, however, fell into the hands of the 23rd-ranked Hokies, who snuck away late in the game to defeat the Panthers, 67-57. Despite leading by as many as eight points in the game, the Panthers were unable to hold onto a second-half lead.

“I think that, tonight, [the team] could not have squeezed one more ounce out of themselves.” Pitt head coach Agnus Berenato said. “To be honest with you, it could have been a 40 point blowout, but they’re learning how to compete.”

Pitt (6-10 overall, 2-4 Big East) jumped out to an early 6-2 lead after a Sheila Stufflet basket in the opening minutes of the game. But the Hokies were quick to respond, moving ahead 13-8 after an 11-2 run.

Katie Histed tied the game for the Panthers with a three-pointer, but Virginia Tech (14-3, 3-3) continued to move ahead. The lead switched hands several times in the first half, but the Hokies controlled the game for much of it.

Pitt, however, went on a 9-0 of its own to pull ahead, 24-19. The Panthers carried their lead into halftime after another three-pointer by Histed, taking a 27-25 advantage into the locker room.

Virginia Tech appeared stunned to start the second half, giving up four quick points to Pitt forward LaToya Kincaid. The Panthers began the half leading 31-25 before the Hokies regrouped.

Amy Kunich, who returned after missing 11 games because of a stress fracture in her foot, helped keep Pitt ahead early in the second half. She knocked down seven points in the first seven minutes, giving the Panthers their biggest lead of the night, 42-34.

But the Hokies spent the next six minutes proving why they are ranked 23rd in the nation, putting together a 14-0 run to move ahead 48-42. Virginia Tech guard Carrie Mason, who had 13 second-half points, scored eight points during the run.

Virginia Tech would never look back. The Hokies out-rebounded the Panthers, 18-13, in the second half and used its big size advantage to take over.

“They rebounded the basketball and they definitely had the size on us.” Berenato said. “We felt that we were even with them in the first half – we did a good job. The second half, we were just jumping up for the rebounds, and we couldn’t do that against their size.”

The Panthers cut the lead to 56-53 with 3:02 remaining after another three-pointer by Histed, but it wasn’t enough. The Hokies outscored Pitt, 11-4, in the final three minutes, holding on to win, 67-57.

Histed led all scorers with a career-high 19 points. The Panthers had four players in double figures, including Kunich, who knocked in 10 in her return

“I think the team is progressing phenomenally, and I think that we have a product that we are really proud of.” Berenato said. “If you were to ask me at the beginning of the season where we’d be right now, I’d say we wouldn’t win a Big East game.”

The Panthers look to capture their third Big East win of the season Saturday afternoon as they travel to St. John’s. Tip-off is set to begin at 2 p.m.