Track turns in solid performance at Michigan

By RAYMOND NEWBY

The Pitt men’s and women’s indoor track teams competed at the Red Simmons Invite in Ann… The Pitt men’s and women’s indoor track teams competed at the Red Simmons Invite in Ann Arbor, Mich. this weekend and came away with 14 top-three finishes combined, including two first-place finishers on the women’s team.

“I think we did as well as I expected,” said head coach Alonzo Webb. “Nothing spectacular, but solid. I didn’t expect everyone to run great. They’re still getting back in shape from the four weeks off at break. I just wanted to see their competitiveness.”

Members of the women’s team placed in the top three seven times, ending up with two in first place, two in second place and three in third place.

Kimberly Lyles placed first in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.87 seconds, a full 0.4 seconds faster than the second-place runner.

Trenace Elliot brought home the only other first-place finish for the Panthers. She dominated the 400 with a time of 56.03 seconds, nearly 1.3 seconds faster than her nearest competitor.

“Trenace Elliot ran really well,” said Webb. “From what we’ve seen in practice, she’s ready to go to another level.”

The two second-place finishers for Pitt were Fatmata Fofonah and Elizabeth Bayne. They both came in with the exact same time in the 60-meter hurdles — 8.61 seconds.

The only third-place finish for the Panthers in the track events was the 4×400-meter relay team, which finished with a time of 3:46.54.

In the field events, two Panthers finished in third place. In the pole vault, Marissa Dudek tied for third with a height of 3.66 meters. The other third-place finisher was Amanda Walker in the shot put, throwing for a distance of 15.17 meters.

The men’s team also had seven top-three finishes, placing third six times and second one time.

Korey Gross was the only Panther who placed second, recording a distance of 14.04 meters in the triple jump.

In the other field events, Justin Clickett placed third in the shot put with a personal-best distance of 16.30 meters, and Matt Brousse finished third in the pole vault with a height of 4.76 meters.

In the track events, the men’s 4×400-meter relay team placed third with a time of 3:20.20.

The other third-place finishers for the Panthers were Jeffrey Kiss in the 60-meter hurdles, with a time of 8.43 seconds, Jeryl Wilborn in the 800-meter run, with a time of 1:52.48 and Troy Roberson in the 400-meter dash, with a time of 50.19 seconds.

“Jeryl Wilborn ran a great race,” said Webb. “I’m hoping that he can run a provisional NCAA qualifying time this weekend.”

The Panthers return to action next weekend at the Penn State National Open in State College.

“We’re going to be on a really nice track, [which should help us get] better times,” said Webb. “The atmosphere is always great, and the teams should be good. This is where I expect to see our best.”