Ani DiFranco’s latest is art

By SARAH BUTCHIN

Educated Guess

Ani DiFranco

Righteous Babe Records

… Educated Guess

Ani DiFranco

Righteous Babe Records

Recommended if you like: Joni Mitchell

Ani DiFranco’s newest CD, Educated Guess, is a piece of art that makes you feel the lyrics, because they are sung with a distinct emotion that fits each word perfectly. As a lyricist, DiFranco is second to none. The poems interspersed throughout the album, such as “The True Story of What Was,” “Grand Canyon” and “Platforms,” are read passionately by DiFranco, giving the album a unique feeling. “Grand Canyon” is especially poignant, with a verse that reads, “I mean, no song has gone unsung here and this joint is strung crazy tight and people been raising up their voices, since it just ain’t been right with all the righteous rage.”

The words she sings are empowering, especially to women. The highlight of the album is “Origami,” with such lyrics as, “I know men are delicate origami creatures/ who need women to unfold them/ hold them when they cry/ but I am tired of being your savior/ and I am tired of telling you why.” I could imagine that men might find lyrics such as these to be less appealing than a woman would, but it is easy to admit that there is a beat behind her words that pulses throughout the song, despite the song being acoustic.

Most of the songs on the album are acoustic, featuring DiFranco doing what she does best with her guitar. The guitar work is intricate and interesting. Even the spoken-word pieces keep your interest with their inherent rhythm.

Educated Guess is an important album for both its innovation and lyrics that mean so much in the scheme of what goes on in this world of ours. DiFranco has a unique voice. This album is an evolution from her last album, delving even deeper into the psyche of a woman with an unbridled spirit and open mind.