Panthers fall to Penn State in NCAA second round

By RAYMOND NEWBY

The Pitt volleyball team’s thrilling season came to an end on Saturday with a 3-1 loss to No…. The Pitt volleyball team’s thrilling season came to an end on Saturday with a 3-1 loss to No. 11-seeded Penn State in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

A 3-1 first round victory over the University of Pennsylvania the day before propelled the Panthers into the second round for only the third time in school history, but they ultimately failed to become the first Pitt team to advance into the regionals.

Pitt 3, Penn 1

The Panthers, playing in their first NCAA Tournament since 1994, started their match against Penn (20-7) a little sluggish. They managed to rally from a few deficits, but ended up losing game one, 30-28.

Pitt head coach Chris Beerman chalked the slow start up to a lack of postseason experience for the Panthers.

“They were just a little nervous,” he said. “But after game one, they were fine, and we were able to play our game.”

The rest of the match went the Panthers’ way. Pitt easily controlled games two and three, winning by the scores of 30-16 and 30-18. In those two games combined, the Panthers outhit the Quakers .333 to .051.

Game four was much closer than the previous two. After a back-and-forth start, the Panthers went on a 9-2 run to go up 17-10. But the Quakers fought back, getting as close as 28-26 before Pitt finished them off with a 30-26 win.

Beerman credited Pitt’s physical, up-tempo play for the win.

“They played a different style of game than we’re used to – a little slower,” he said. “We were better physically, and that gave us an edge.”

Outside hitter Wendy Hatlestad led the Panthers both offensively and defensively, tying for a match-high 21 digs and leading all players with 29 kills on a .381 hitting percentage.

Middle hitter Megan Miller and outside hitter Sarah Rollman both added 19 kills for Pitt. Miller also had a match-high .459 hitting percentage and a match-high six total blocks, while Rollman added 16 digs for a double-double.

Setter Lindsey Macke was the third Pitt player with a double-double, recording a match-high 61 assists and 15 digs.

Libero Megan McGrane and outside hitter Abby Fechhelm both chipped in defensively for the Panthers, with 21 and 13 digs, respectively.

Cara Thomason led Penn with 11 kills and 21 digs in a losing effort.

No. 11 Penn State 3, Pitt 1

Pitt continued to roll in the first game of their second-round matchup with Penn State (30-4).

After a close start, the Panthers were able to distance themselves from the Nittany Lions with an 11-6 run. Penn State managed to pull within three points late in the game before Pitt pulled out the 30-25 win.

“We played really aggressively,” Beerman said. “We definitely came out to win.”

The start of the second game saw Pitt and Penn State trading points before the Nittany Lions were able to open a small lead. But the Panthers never quit and were able to gain a two-point advantage at 27-25. Penn State tied it up at 28, but a kill by Hatlestad gave the Panthers a game point. Unfortunately, they were unable to capitalize on it and failed again on a second game point before Penn State scored the final points and took a 33-31 win.

“That turned the momentum of the game,” Beerman said of the two failed game points. “It’s a shame because if we had won game two, we probably would have won the match.”

The Nittany Lions used their emotional win in game two to propel them through the rest of the match. Pitt did everything it could to stay with Penn State, but lost both games three and four by scores of 30-21.

“We played as hard as we could,” Beerman said. “Penn State is a top team and they were playing at home in front of 2500 fans.”

Despite the disappointing loss, two Panthers set school records.

Hatlestad, a senior, had 23 kills to give her 555 for the year, besting the previous single-season Pitt mark of 548. McGrane, who had a team-high 18 digs, also set a Panther single-season mark with 595 digs.

Three Pitt players had double-doubles. Hatlestad added 12 digs to her match-high 23 kills, and Rollman, also playing her final game for the Panthers, had 19 kills and 11 digs. Macke also had a double-double with 57 assists and 12 digs.

Miller also chipped in 19 kills to go with her match highs of a .432 hitting percentage and five total kills. Fechhelm added 13 digs for her second double-digit dig total of the tournament.

Syndie Nadeau had 17 kills, 17 digs and a .371 hitting percentage to lead the Nittany Lions.

Despite the tournament loss, the Panthers finished the season with a 26-6 record, their most successful season since 1994.

“Our goal was to win the Big East championship, and we got the goal that we set,” Beerman said. “I’m very proud of them, especially considering the injuries we had early in the season.”