Pitt volleyball splits at Community Banker’s Classic

By RAYMOND NEWBY

The Pitt volleyball team split a pair of matches this weekend at Community Banker’s Classic… The Pitt volleyball team split a pair of matches this weekend at Community Banker’s Classic in Stockton, Ca. In their first matchup, the Panthers took on Oregon State and lost a 3-1 decision. They followed it up with a dominating 3-0 sweep over Alabama-Birmingham in the consolation game.

Oregon State 3 Pitt 1

The Big East Champion Panthers (25-5) went into Friday’s match against Oregon State winners of five straight, but struggled out of the gate against a Beavers team that needed to win their final two matches to have a chance to get into the NCAA Tournament.

“I think, in the Oregon State match, we weren’t really prepared mentally,” head coach Chris Beerman said. “They planned like it was life or death, and we just kind of played. I think we learned a lesson from that.”

Oregon State (16-16) was nearly flawless in game one, hitting .564 with 23 kills and only one error in 39 attempts. The Panthers recorded a .344 percentage, but ultimately lost the game 30-22.

Pitt came roaring back in game two, forcing the Beavers into 13 errors and a -.022 hitting percentage, while cruising to a 30-16 win. But the Panthers’ momentum led them nowhere, and Oregon State battled their way to 30-26 and 30-25 wins in the final two games.

“All it is, is a lesson, because you go into the NCAA Tournament, and you really can’t have those kind of letdowns,” said Beerman. “In some ways, it was a good loss for us, if there is such a thing.”

Outside hitter Wendy Hatlestad led the way for the Panthers with 30 kills, a season-high as well as a match-high. She also led the team with a .373 hitting percentage and recorded eight digs.

Middle hitter Megan Miller and outside hitter Sarah Rollman also recorded double-digit kills for the Panthers. Miller had 12 kills to go along with her six digs and match-high four blocks, while Rollman had 16 kills along with four digs and three blocking assists.

Libero Megan McGrane anchored the Panthers’ defense with 27 digs, leading all players in the match. Setters Lindsey Macke and Azadeh Boroumand split time, with Macke recording 44 assists and Boroumand adding 14 off the bench.

Allison Lawrence led the way for the Beavers with 19 kills and 15 assists.

Pitt 3 UAB 0

Pitt faced UAB in the consolation game, with the Blazers fresh off a sweep at the hands of host Pacific. The Panthers did UAB (14-20) no favors, handing it their second sweep of the weekend in dominating form.

Pitt easily controlled every game of the match, winning by scores of 30-17, 30-22 and 30-21. The Panthers held the Blazers to a .000 hitting percentage in each of the first two games and a .049 percentage for the match, while hitting .336 themselves.

Hatlestad and Rollman had match-highs of 15 kills apiece and recorded seven and nine digs, respectively. Miller rounded out the trio of Pitt players with double-digit kills, with 13 to go along with a match-high six blocks. It was the sixth straight game that Hatlestad, Rollman and Miller – dubbed the “Big Three” by Beerman – each recorded double-digit kills.

Macke had the only double-double in the match, with a match-high 44 assists to go with 11 digs. McGrane added a match-high 16 digs for Pitt, while middle hitter April Puzauskas had seven digs and four kills and was one of four Panthers who hit .300 or better.

Breanne Swenson led the Blazers with seven kills, 13 digs and three blocking assists.

In the championship match of the tournament, Pacific defeated Oregon State 3-0, thus earning it an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament and, at the same time, eliminating Oregon State from contention.

These matches were the final ones of the regular season for the Panthers, who play the University of Pennsylvania this Friday in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.