Hip-Hop heavyweight Russell Simmons spends an evening at Pitt

By AMY WILLIAMS

You name it, he’s done it. He practically created hip-hop culture as we know it today. And… You name it, he’s done it. He practically created hip-hop culture as we know it today. And tonight, you can spend the evening with him as Pitt Program Council presents: An Evening with Russell Simmons.

Simmons, born in 1957, is a hip-hop legend in his own time. He is co-creator of Def Jam Recording Company and owns Rush Communications. He has put his money behind movies, music and the production of music videos, clothing lines, television shows and philanthropic efforts. The sum of his empire rings to the tune of $250 million dollars.

Raised in Queens, NY, it is believed he learned his business savvy on the streets. He was involved in street gangs and most of the parts of urban life that many of the artists on his label sing about. What changed his direction was observing free-style rapping on the street corners and how it influenced young black males in his area. He immediately spent most of his time promoting independent black rappers.

The start of this fame was his decision to co-found Def Jam Recording Co. in 1984 with Rick Rubin. His label started the careers of such legends as Run D.M.C., L.L. Cool J and the Beastie Boys. Today, his label carries such artists as Jay-Z, DMX and Method Man. He is also credited with the successful combination of the rap-rock genres by mixing Run-D.M.C. with Aerosmith for the successful re-mix of “Walk this Way,” and inspiring such artists as Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock and Linkin Park.

Simmons went on to become CEO of Rush Artist Management and Rush Communications. Through that, he started a successful comedy show, Def Comedy Jam, which ran for seven years on HBO. Currently, he is running a show called Def Poetry Jam, also on HBO. He created a free online magazine called OneWorld Magazine and the successful Phat Farm and Baby Phat clothing lines.

Simmons also puts his money to good work. He and his two brothers created the Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation. This is an organization that exposes disadvantaged youth of the urban community to different aspects of art. It also tries to support different struggling artists of color.

He also cares about the way hip-hop is represented to America’s youth. He started an organization called Hip Hop Summit Action Network that concentrates on breaking through the stereotypes of hip-hop and trying to help it convey a positive message for America’s troubled youth. Recently, they were responsible for Ja Rule’s mediation talk with Minister Louis Farrakhan.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear such an influential man in contemporary American culture speak his mind and of his experiences.

Tickets are $8 with a valid Pitt ID and $16 for others. For more information, call (412) 648-7900.