Season can still reach expectations for Pitt football

By ADAM FLEMING

Virginia Tech’s 31-7 upset of then-No. 2-ranked Miami pulled down the seemingly unstoppable… Virginia Tech’s 31-7 upset of then-No. 2-ranked Miami pulled down the seemingly unstoppable Hurricanes while putting Pitt in a position to run away with the Big East title.

But several major stops remain in the Panthers’ schedule and the season is far from over. Here are just a few things that must happen for Pitt to take the conference:

-Pitt can’t lose to Temple.

It seems like a sure thing. Temple has yet to win in the Big East this season. Even on the road, the Panthers should have little trouble getting the win. But don’t overlook this game. Pitt’s already been upset by one six-letter T-Team this year. It could happen again.

-Pitt must establish and maintain a running game. While the Panthers were able to pound on Syracuse with a strong airborne attack, ground support will be needed late in the season to free up Pitt’s receivers.

Having Brandon Miree off the field certainly doesn’t help. But with the introduction of a two-back system featuring Jawan Walker and Tim Murphy, the Panthers seem to be stepping up to the challenge. Much of the season relies on the efficiency of Pitt’s contrasting carriers.

-Pitt needs a win in Morgantown. West Virginia, last season’s spoiler for the Panthers, has already played Virginia Tech and Miami. Pitt hasn’t. The rest of the season for the Mountaineers is light.

With the exception of the Panthers, they play only teams in the lower half of the conference. Pitt could win the Big East despite a loss to West Virginia, but it’s not likely. To avoid being sucked into a web of ties and roundabout record comparisons, the Panthers need to come out on top on the road.

-“The Larry Fitzgerald Show” must go on. Fitzgerald is and will be – barring injury – Pitt’s major offensive threat this season. The Panthers should continue to look for him and exploit any defensive package foolish enough to attempt man coverage.

-Pitt needs Rod Rutherford to finish strong. Last season against Miami, the quarterback threw for 150 yards and ran for another 69. But most Panther fans can more easily remember his costly fumble inside the Miami 10-yard line and overthrown pass to receiver Yogi Roth to end the game. To win the conference, Rutherford will have to execute all the way to the end zone down the stretch.

-Pitt’s defense must focus on getting off the field faster, any way possible.

Extended play for the Panthers’ defense creates wear-and-tear holes on the field. Quicker pressure on opposing quarterbacks with a continuing increase in the performance and presence of Pitt’s secondary will force more turnovers. Intertwined in that principle, the Panther offense must spend more time on the field and work toward giving up as little field position as possible.

-Most importantly, Pitt must beat the big two – Miami and Virginia Tech. Everything else becomes moot if the Panthers lose either or both of these games. The only way to clinch a championship at this point, is to remain undefeated. And the most obvious obstacles to that goal are the Hokies and the Hurricanes.

-Pitt has to capitalize on home-field advantage. Last season, West Virginia made the short trip to Heinz Field, and won. The Panthers cannot allow the powerhouses of the Big East to forget where they are. They must play with furor, pride and might. Upsetting nationally ranked teams is never easy, but if the Panthers have a chance at all, it will be at home.