Cheap celebrates Jandek Day at Kiva Han

By ASHLEY RUSZKOWSKI

Music lovers and garbage diggers seem to be literally falling upon Jandek, a solo artist with… Music lovers and garbage diggers seem to be literally falling upon Jandek, a solo artist with a guitar and a microphone who has been said to sound like a muttering sleepwalker, plucking away to create sounds that emulate those of amplified bicycle spokes – and there is a day dedicated to this Texan strummer.

Jandek, aka Sterling R. Smith, is from Houston, Texas. He captures the essence of white-boy blues along with a slightly demented stream of consciousness. His songs feature themes such as visiting hospitals, being isolated and even an occasional encounter with a person named Sadie.

Since 1978, Jandek has tackled 36 albums, yet few people seem to know of him or of his music. Last year, Houston’s mayor established Nov. 5 as “Jandek Day” which, if you ask me, is a pretty big deal. Word got out about the day via the Internet, and, as a result, Kiva Han will have a strumming session dedicated to this minstrel.

The rules for the event: show up, bring an acoustic guitar and play the night away. Before you arrive, you may want to surf the Internet and check out Jandek himself – for an alternate route of inspiration.

Jandek’s music is dark and gloomy. He has escaped critical notice and public attention – aside from his probable 100 fans. Jandek has produced more than one CD a year, and though his music may be difficult to embrace, his originality and uniqueness – you can interpret those words however you would like – is noteworthy.

Pittsburgh isn’t the only city celebrating – there are celebrations taking place at coffee shops and corner bars nationwide to salute this invisible vocalist.

Jandek Day takes place at the Kiva Han on the corner of Forbes and Meyran Avenues tonight at 7 p.m. Admission is free. For more information, call (412) 682-5354.