Pitt looks for first win versus Notre Dame since 1999

By Ryan Walker

The Pitt football team has the chance to avenge two consecutive losses suffered at the hands… The Pitt football team has the chance to avenge two consecutive losses suffered at the hands of the Fighting Irish, and really look forward to playing in front of a sellout crowd at Heinz Field.

Although the Panthers have come up short against the Irish in each of the past two seasons, the games have been tight.

“Really, the last two years, we feel like we’ve found a way to lose the game, and they’ve found a way to win the game,” Harris said. Notre Dame’s offense has struggled so far this season, averaging less than two touchdowns per game. But the Irish saw a silver lining in their loss at Purdue. Freshman quarterback Brady Quinn completed 29 of 59 passes for 297 yards and one touchdown.

“I was impressed with their quarterback, Brady Quinn,” Harris said. “We recruited him. We thought he was good enough to offer a scholarship, so obviously we think he’s an outstanding player.”

This week the Panthers are making a personnel change of their own, opting to start William “Tutu” Ferguson at cornerback in place of Bernard “Josh” Lay.

“We think Josh can play better,” Harris said. “And we’re expecting him to. It doesn’t mean Josh won’t play. It just means that we’re starting Tutu and we’re hoping that he performs at the level that we want him to.”

Another Panther fighting for more playing time is sophomore tailback Jawan Walker, who had a big game starting in place of the injured Brandon Miree against Texas A’amp;M.

“I think there’s no question that he deserves more playing time,” Harris said. “The problem is [that] we have another good football player who is the starter.”

One player who will not be concerned about playing time is quarterback Rod Rutherford, whose name has been mentioned as a Heisman Trophy candidate. Rutherford’s comfort and poise has led to spectacular offensive numbers.

“Its always nice to have an experienced quarterback,” Harris said. “Hopefully we’ll continue to execute well, and hopefully the coaching staff will continue to give Rod [Rutherford] the opportunity to be successful.” The Notre Dame defense should prove to be another test for Rutherford and the offense. The Irish defense has allowed 24 points or more only once this season, and Harris feels that their defense is the biggest strength of the team. “I think [Notre Dame] is one of the best defenses that we’ll face all year,” Harris said.

The Panthers will be playing in front of a national audience this Saturday on ESPN. The last time Pitt beat Notre Dame was a 37-27 victory back on Nov. 13, 1999, the last game at Pitt Stadium.

Despite the Irish not being nationally ranked, coach Harris still feels like a victory would certainly make a statement.

“Any time you beat a storied program like Notre Dame, I think that would be a heck of a compliment to your football team,” Harris said.