Receiver finds his way into the end zone again

By Adam Fleming

If Pitt’s in the end zone, there’s a good chance No. 1 had something to do with it.

‘ ‘… If Pitt’s in the end zone, there’s a good chance No. 1 had something to do with it.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald broke a Big East record for number of touchdowns in a single season, and tied an NCAA record for the most consecutive games with a touchdown, scoring two during Saturday’s game against Syracuse.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Fitzgerald’s record-setting performance didn’t stop there. The sophomore receiver had 149-yards receiving, his 10th career 100-yard receiving game, which tied for third in Big East history.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Records don’t really mean anything to you at the time,’ Fitzgerald said. ‘But that’s something that, a couple years down the road, I’ll probably look back and think that’s something I really accomplished.’

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Against the Orangemen, Fitzgerald extended his streak to 13 straight games with a touchdown.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘You can’t say enough about Larry Fitzgerald and what he’s accomplished,’ head coach Walt Harris said.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ According to Harris, Terry Murphy — former Panther wide receiver and Big East record holder for touchdowns in a single season with 13 — called some time during the week before the game to wish the team luck.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Fitzgerald’s chase of the conference record for 100-yard games places him statistically against another one-time Pitt receiver, Antonio Bryant.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Bryant finished his collegiate career with a total of 13 and currently holds the Big East record.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Fitzgerald, however, has the distinct honor of being the only receiver ever to amass two 1,000-yard receiving seasons in the Big East.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It’s never routine. It’s just me doing my part,’ Fitzgerald said. ‘Sometimes I’m called on more than others, but whenever I’m called on I have to go out there and make sure I’m doing my assignment.’

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Fitzgerald’s assignment on Saturday appeared to be breaking through Syracuse’s defense whenever it came at him with man coverage.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ With seven minutes and 34 seconds left in the first quarter, he recovered from tripping on a defender to catch a 3-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Rod Rutherford to set up a game-tying kick from David Abdul.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘You’re not going to see too many better receivers than him at this level,’ said Pitt defensive back Shawntae Spencer, who matched up against Fitzgerald a number of times last week in practice.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Against BostonCollege next week, Fitzgerald will have a chance to claim the NCAA record, as his alone, for consecutive games with a receiving touchdown.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Currently, he shares the record with Michigan State’s Charles Rogers, who set the bar at 13 games in 2002.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ BostonCollege has given up 14 passing touchdowns and an average of 221.9 receiving yards per game this season in eight games.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ With five games remaining in Pitt’s schedule — plus a potential bowl game — Fitzgerald could end up extending his records well beyond their previous marks.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘But records are meant to be broken, and who’s to say somebody doesn’t come by and break my record,’ Fitzgerald said, seemingly taking it all in stride.