Look for James to shine and Nets to win it all – finally

By MATT MILOSZEWSKI

The National Basketball Association season is upon us, and I know most of you out there… The National Basketball Association season is upon us, and I know most of you out there could care less, but I love it. So here are my top 10 things to watch for, and a few predictions for the upcoming season.

No. 10: The Philadelphia 76ers will struggle to make the playoffs.

The reason is the Eastern Conference is not all that bad, and frankly, it will be difficult to go through. Plus, I could not really bash the Eagles this week, considering the Steelers are 2-5, so I had to diss Allen Iverson and the city of Philly somehow.

So “AI” will shoot 30 percent and the Sixers will not make the playoffs – don’t you just miss Larry Brown already?

No. 9: A few weeks ago, I bashed 4-FACT for not helping me out; the lack of help resulted in a parking ticket.

Besides the fact I am now up to 18 tickets on the year, I received a little flak for dissing 4-FACT. Because of this, I have decided to call once a day with a random question, just to be a jerk.

In addition, I have told all my friends to do the same, and I urge you to do the same. Maybe next time they will tell me which side of the street to park on for street-cleaning day.

No. 8: All right, so No. 9 had nothing to do with the NBA, but it needed to be said.

Now, how many people can shoot the ball at once? Not enough on several NBA teams.

With the addition of several players, how will Dallas, the Lakers, Philly and Minnesota cope? I think two will struggle – Philly and L.A. – while two will succeed – Dallas and Minnesota. Latrell Sprewell will finally give the Wolves that extra player who can score in the fourth quarter.

No. 7: I cannot wait to watch the rookies – minus LeBron James. I will discuss LeBron later, but for now, the others.

Carmelo Anthony may be the most complete rookie to enter the draft in a few years, and Darko Milicic may be the next Yao Ming, but with five times the athletic ability. There are several sleepers, though, who may surprise – look out for Reece Gaines in Orlando running the point and Dwayne Wade in Miami doing the same.

Caron Butler, Lamar Odom and Wade in Miami sounds like a playoff team to me.

No. 6: NBA League Pass – $99 for the entire season could be the deal of the century. Is it possible I am too excited for this? Does anybody else out there care like my roommates and I do?

No. 5: NBA Live 2004. The best basketball game ever keeps getting better. Adding the jump step and the dunk button – genius. Plus, I just loving playing as Cleveland and going for 50 points with James and company.

No. 4: The magic number of three.

Can Tim Duncan win his third straight Most Valuable Player award? I think so.

Can the New Jersey Nets win their third consecutive Eastern Conference crown? I think so.

Can the third overall pick, Anthony, win Rookie of Year? I think not.

No. 3: James is as good as advertised. Not only will James win the Rookie of the Year, he will average a double-double in points and assists.

Then, for his third trick, “King James” will lead the Cavs’ to the playoffs. Am I overhyping James like the rest of the media? Yes, but he will not just equal the hype, he will surpass it and unseat Jason Kidd as the Eastern Conference All-Star game starter at point guard – thanks to fan voting.

No. 2: The Lakers saga and war of words may come to a boil. The comedy of the exchanges between Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant aside, will this team hold together?

If the trade deadline is approaching and the Lakers are struggling, could the Lakers trade the soon-to-be free agent Kobe Bryant? I think so.

What is Kobe’s value, though? Who can offer something that equals Kobe’s value? No one. Who has the cap room to sign Kobe next year? The Spurs do. What a better way to send a message to Shaq then to go to the Spurs and beat the Lakers?

The Lakers, however – pending a rape conviction for Bryant – will be a playoff force, and Shaq and Kobe will play nice till the season ends in the Western Conference finals.

No. 1: Prediction time.

The Spurs will win the West and go on to play the New Jersey Nets in the NBA finals. Since the Steelers struggled, the sports Gods will finally stop teasing me in the NBA and give me this one – Nets in seven games.

Tim Duncan will win his third consecutive MVP, and “King James” will be the Rookie of the Year and begin his reign as NBA savior. The torch – which Michael Jordan left in the air – will be grasped and taken to Cleveland.

Matt Miloszewski is a columnist for The Pitt News and wishes everyone loved the NBA like he and his friends do.