Eerie, noisy destruction

By SARAH BUTCHIN

I Name You Destroyer

Jucifer

Vellocette Records

… I Name You Destroyer

Jucifer

Vellocette Records

Recommended if you like: Marilyn Manson and Evanescence

Remember that scene in “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” when they are in the boat heading down a tunnel? There are tons of bright colors, but it is eerie, not cheerful. You have that overwhelming fear of the unknown. Even worse than that fear is the scary realization that you will see those Oompah-Loompahs at the end of the tunnel doing their creepy, little dance. Take all those feelings and combine them with complete and utter confusion. It all perfectly describes Jucifer’s I Name You Destroyer.

One cannot deny that I Name You Destroyer is an interesting CD. Jucifer is made up of Ed Livengood and Amber Valentine. Livengood and Valentine combine any and every instrument or sound into the mix that they believe will add to their songs.

On “Dissolver,” all you can hear is drums, guitar and Valentine screaming at the top of her lungs. Her vocal chords have to hate her. The song is a good remedy to sanity. Even more alarming than the crazy screaming is the fact that halfway through the song there is an eerie breakdown in which Valentine practically coos.

“Queen B” can be described in three words: Scary as hell. Visions of a possessed woman singing with fire illuminating her face could be conjured in your mind throughout the song. Valentine’s screaming sounds like cries of agony and torture. It’s a little too much to handle.

It’s unbelievable that two people can make so much noise. Jucifer has been compared to the White Stripes because of its ability to fill up every bit of your eardrum. The comparison is not too far off for the pure fact that it is a band of two talented artists, but Jucifer is like the White Stripes’ gothic antithesis – their worst nightmare, if you will.

Jucifer is interesting to listen to, and it’s easy to see why the band have a growing fan base. I just don’t think I have the stomach for it.

For those of you more experimental than Sarah Butchin, be sure to check out Jucifer on Oct. 25 at Mr. Small’s Theatre, located in Millvale. Tickets are $8, and for more information, go to www.mrsmalls.com. Just be sure to bring some Tylenol for after the show.