Lang has grown in his time away from music

By Amy Williams

With a four-year gap between his sophomore release, Wander This World, and his newest… With a four-year gap between his sophomore release, Wander This World, and his newest effort, Long Time Coming, Jonny Lang has had a long time to grow musically. The sophistication of this album reveals that maturity.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ From the time Lang, now 22, burst on the music scene six years ago, he created a buzz with this rough vocals and way-beyond-his-years guitar playing. The first time Lang ever picked up a guitar was at the age 13, and by 17, he had brought the blues back to pop culture and received a Grammy nomination.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Lang effectively displays his versatility on Long Time Coming. He wrote or co-wrote every song and served as a co-producer. With such a strong hand in the creation of this CD, his interest in having his music reflect who he really is is written all over this effort. He creates an honest, real sound and feel with every song on this album.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The title track, ‘Long Time Coming,’ is a powerful and emotional boost of bluesy guitar and heart-wrenching vocals that make it a perfect example of Lang’s potential. ‘Touch’ is a sultry and alluring track that shows the sensual side to Lang. He sings, ‘I come alive with your touch/Your touch, it always sets me free/No, I can’t get enough/too much of you is what I need.’ The last track on the CD is a live cut, ‘Livin for the City,’ which proves that his guitar and vocals are as flawless live as they are on the album.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Lang has been critically acclaimed and a standout since he began his career at the age of 16. Long Time Coming lives up to the reputation that he has maintained as one of the few truly good young talents in music today. This latest effort proves that Lang isn’t here to fit into an MTV, pop-craving audience, but instead has a sound that can withstand the test of time.