This is some epic rock

By AMY WILLIAMS

Coheed and Cambria

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Equal Vision…

Coheed and Cambria

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Equal Vision Records

Recommended if you like: AFI

Although Coheed and Cambria formed their sound over seven years ago, they became known to the world through their first official full-length album, The Second Stage Turbine Blade in 2000, which was an epic adventure of music. It is a story of roller-coaster emotion told in a cinematic way through hardcore guitars and clashing drums. Their creativity automatically set them apart from any other rock band out there.

Their sophomore release, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, is a sequel to their first album and lives up to its expectations and beyond. It keeps the talent and spirit of Coheed and Cambria alive, yet calms the hardcore tone down just a little bit. Growing ever more popular by word of mouth, these New York-based rockers satisfy once again with their almost-clashing of epic rock, emo, punk and pop rhythms combined into one great CD from start to finish.

Their latest album is full of intensity, emotion, melody and powerful lyrics. The versatile vocals of Claudio Sanchez add distinctiveness to the band’s sound. Their screaming vocals and hard guitar play are incorporated with so many different sounds that it’s hard to classify this band under any sort of specific rock genre.

The album opens with “In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3,” which is a dramatic punch. Just listen at the first lines, “A broad incision sits across the evening/A victim to our fathers’ lost war/The restless children sit and mourn the graves/Of those they’ve never seen before/Will they be buried here among the dead? In the silent secret.” It’s the perfect set-up to what the rest of the album will feel like.

Another noteworthy track on the album is “Blood Red Summer,” a poppy standout to their otherwise epic-hardcore sound. This song is the band’s would-be mainstream hit; it has a catchy beat with a little Jimmy Eat World flavor to it.

Included with this CD is a DVD that has the space-influenced video for “Devil in Jersey City,” including a hilarious alternate video of some southern imitators trying hard to capture the Coheed and Cambria stage presence. Also included is a three-minute documentary by Dragging the Lake video magazine and a live video for “Delirium Trigger.”

Overall, this CD is a little more mainstream and less aggressive than any of the other band’s attempts, but it’s unlike any sort of rock that you will find out there. Full of creativity and flavor, it’s a must-have for any Coheed or rock fan.