Hills credits family for accomplishments

By RYAN FALOON

Sophomore forward Erin Hills played for a variety of teams prior to her landing on the Pitt… Sophomore forward Erin Hills played for a variety of teams prior to her landing on the Pitt women’s soccer team. Her off-field experiences as a youth consisted of moving from one school to another, thus causing her to come and go between a variety of soccer teams.

But what went on off the field has had a positive impact on Hills’ life, making her the remarkable player and person she is today. She credits much of her success to her family.

Hills’ father, John, has served in the military throughout her life. Because of the many duties and responsibilities involved in his job, Hills and her family were forced to move around a lot, from city to city. While she admits it to have been a challenge growing up, Hills believes traveling helped her and her family create a unique bond; she stresses the value of having a close family in her life.

“Coming from a close family, we stick close together because we move around a lot,” Hills said. “Sometimes, you don’t get to keep in touch with a lot of your friends, but you always have your family there.”

Hills is appreciative of the support she receives from her family and is thankful for the time they spend with her, even when she is miles away at school. Despite currently residing in Burke, Va., Hills’ parents continue to take the time to travel to Pittsburgh to watch her play.

“They come basically to every home game,” she said. “It’s great.”

While the support of her parents has made Hills the person she is today, she thanks her only sibling, her 21-year-old brother, for his influence on her involvement with sports.

“My brother and I had this competition going on with each other,” Hills said, recalling her childhood. “Whatever sport he did, I had to do better. I definitely thank him for getting me this far. Without the healthy competition we’ve had between each other, I don’t think I would have got here”

Hills’ battles with her brother have noticeably helped her become one of the premiere offensive threats for the Panthers thus far. In her freshman season at Pitt, she finished second on the team in goals scored and third in points.

Already, at the start of this season, Hills has proven to be just as successful. She is currently tied for first on the team in points, with seven, one more than she produced in her entire freshman season.

Aside from soccer, Hills enjoys being involved in other sports, such as fishing and hunting. At one point, she even took up powerlifting at her high school, James W. Robinson Secondary.

“I was in a 150-pound-and-under weight class, so I pretty much mopped up on everyone else,” she said, laughing about her experience.

When she’s not playing soccer or other sports, Hills’ primary focus rests on her studies. She is a history major, hoping to one day become a teacher. In addition, she is considering coaching in the future, since she has a strong desire to help children.

“I think I see myself coaching more [than playing],” she said. “It would be nice to give back what I’ve learned.”