Harris decides not to start Rutherford

By Ryan Walker

The Panthers will begin to answer two key questions this Saturday night when they open their… The Panthers will begin to answer two key questions this Saturday night when they open their season against Kent State. First, how much of an effect will Rod Rutherford’s off-the-field incident have on the team? And second, will Pitt be able to live up to all of the preseason expectations?

After Rutherford’s alleged altercation, the quarterback position is clouded with controversy. Harris announced at Thursday’s practice that Rutherford would not start in Saturday’s game.

“I have arrived at a disciplinary decision regarding Rod,” Harris said. “Other than announcing Rod will not start the first game of his senior year at home, though I do expect him to play, I will not disclose the other disciplinary actions I have taken.”

With Rutherford not starting, it is likely that redshirt freshman Luke Getsy will make his first collegiate start. Getsy was named the backup quarterback on Tuesday.

Pitt enters the 2003 season with the most preseason recognition they’ve had since Walt Harris became head coach in 1997. Pitt returns 18 total starters from last year’s 9-4 team and is currently ranked No. 12 in the USA Today/ESPN poll and No. 10 in the Associated Press poll.

Harris felt that, in the past, the team was not receiving the credit it deserved, but this year, that’s all changed.

“We’ve earned that preseason respect,” Harris said. “Now it’s up to us to get the postseason respect.”

The Panthers are 6-0 lifetime against the Golden Flashes and have outscored them 208-65 since 1970, but after a 3-9 finish last season, Kent State has transformed its offense and now tries to spread defenses out by running a west coast-style offense.

The key to success for the Panthers this week will be stopping Kent State quarterback Joshua Cribbs, who will attempt to become the first player in Division I-A history with three consecutive “double-1,000 yard” seasons. In each of the past two seasons, Cribbs has both rushed and thrown for 1,000 yards.

While Cribbs averaged 7.7 yards per carry last season, he threw only four touchdown passes paired with 14 interceptions, completing just 48 percent of his passes.

This year, the Golden Flashes have a new offensive coordinator – Doug Martin. Martin has been working with Cribbs on improving as a passer and not just relying on his athletic ability to make plays.

Judging by last week’s statistics, the impact Martin has had on Cribbs has been remarkable.

Last week, Cribbs completed 25-of-43 passes and threw for a career high 340 yards and three touchdowns.

“Cribbs is an outstanding player, so it makes it very difficult, you know, because I don’t think we’ve seen one quite as athletic in the spread offense,” Harris said.

Since the Panthers have not played a game yet, they were not permitted to scout Kent State in their season opener last week.

“We couldn’t be at the game, we couldn’t see the tape,” Harris said. “You talk about a tough assignment; they already have a game under their belt.”

Pitt’s offense still has a number of weapons to utilize against Kent State’s defense. Brandon Miree was a late bloomer last season, but finished strong with a Most Valuable Player performance in the Insight Bowl.

“We want to become a team that can be dominant at the line of scrimmage and have a 1,000 yard rusher, and we’re excited about having Brandon Miree as our tailback,” Harris said.

Larry Fitzgerald, who pulled his hamstring during training camp, has fully recovered. Playing receiver opposite him will be Princell Brockenbrough, a junior-college transfer who redshirted last year after undergoing knee surgery. Brockenbrough caught 20 touchdown passes in his two seasons at City College of San Francisco.

The Panthers can also look to John Mackey award candidate Kris Wilson for offensive production. Wilson has started in 29 consecutive contests and has averaged 17.8 yards per catch in his three-year career at Pitt.

Saturday’s game will provide the Panthers with their first test of what could be a memorable season.

“Our football players know what’s at stake, and we’re gonna try to get it done the best way we know how,” Harris said.