Avenging losses from last season should erase aftertaste

By KEVIN NASH

The wait for Panthers football fans is almost over.

On Saturday, the Panthers will kick off… The wait for Panthers football fans is almost over.

On Saturday, the Panthers will kick off their season versus Kent State. There are high expectations for this season, and, even though Pitt manhandled Oregon State, 38-13 in the Insight Bowl, I’m sure there are many Panthers who still have a bad taste in their mouths from the final two games of last season.

The Pitt versus Miami game came down to the closing seconds, when quarterback Rod Rutherford overthrew wide receiver Yogi Roth in the endzone.

Then there was the West Virginia game. Four Pitt turnovers resulted in a 24-17 loss in the Backyard Brawl. The loss killed all hopes of a Bowl Championship Series berth.

All four of the Panthers’ losses last season were heartbreak.ers. Pitt could have easily gone undefeated last season, with a change of fortune.

Well, it’s a new year, and it is time to avenge those tough losses. The Panthers’ first opportunity will be at Texas A’M on Sept. 27.

We all remember the illegal shift calls on the line. I had not seen a referee call an illegal shift on a field goal attempt since I’ve been a student at Pitt. After two illegal shift penalties, kicker J.B. Gibboney missed wide right from 30 yards out.

As a result, the Panthers had to go for the two-point conversion after its final touchdown in order to tie the game. The two-point conversion failed, and Panthers’ fans were sent home with a disappointing 14-12 Panthers’ loss.

In the Notre Dame game, the Panthers were down 7-6 when Rutherford fumbled deep in Panthers’ territory. The opportunity for revenge against the Fighting Irish comes on Oct. 11.

The last two opportunities come against opponents that probably dealt Pitt its most painful losses last season. West Virginia hosts the Panthers on Nov. 15 and Miami visits the Steel city on Nov. 29.

These are all huge games that I’m sure are on the minds of the players and the fans. On Saturday, we will get our first opportunity to see what the 2003 Panthers are made of.

It has been a rough offseason for the team, as they lost sophomore wide receiver Billy Gaines, who died in a tragic fall over the summer. In most recent days, their leader on offense has accusations being thrown at him.

How this team responds to the death of a teammate and the recent allegations against Rutherford will set the tone for this season. “Can this team overcome adversity?” is probably a question that remains unanswered.

I believe that your first game is a stepping stone that you build off of. Especially with the schedule that the Panthers will face. They begin with Kent State, Ball State and Toledo, then gradually build up, as Texas A’M and Notre Dame loom in the near future.

Pitt needs to get out on the field and dominate its first three opponents and set the tone for the remainder of the season. The Panthers are ranked No. 12 in the nation, and they need to show that they deserve that ranking right off the bat.

The Panthers must take care of business against the weaker opponents and show up primed and ready against the powerhouses. The first couple of months of the season are just a tune up.

In November, the Panthers face Big East opponents Virginia Tech, West Virginia and Miami. These games will play a crucial role in Pitt’s postseason bid and run at a Big East Conference title.

I think most people agree that the Panthers will legitimately compete for the Big East title in 2003. But it starts on Saturday. Pitt cannot afford to wait and play catch up. It is critical for Pitt to show Kent State and the rest of the country what Panthers’ Football is all about.

Kevin Nash is the assistant sports editor for The Pitt News.