Now, after 11

By AMY WILLIAMS

MXPX

Before and Everything After

A’M records

Suggested…

MXPX

Before and Everything After

A’M records

Suggested if you like Blink 182, Sum 41

The punk/pop group MXPX has always been known for feel-good punk. With their new album, Before and Everything After, you shouldn’t expect anything less, or anything more, than just that.

Their eleventh release – third on A’M Records – is full of contagious verses with simple lyrical content. It’s their most pop-flavored effort to date: a mixture of feel-good, old-school punk beats with a dash of emo – especially on the song “Quit Your Life.” Mixing it up a little are guest appearances and background vocals by Benji Madden of Good Charlotte, Jordan Pundik of New Found Glory and Kris Roe from The Ataris.

Produced by Chris and Tom Lord-Alge of Blink 182 fame, there aren’t any signs of maturity or musical boundaries crossings on this album. It’s the same formula as all of their previous albums: catchy hooks and fast guitar riffs.

Their first single from the album, “Everything Sucks (When You’re Gone),” is a catchy, punk song about love and loss: “Today’s the day you’re leaving and tomorrow you’ll be gone/ you’re in my heart and on my mind/I will bring you along.”

The opening track, “Play It Loud,” is a mosh pit-loving youth rebellion song about being yourself: “Play it loud/raise your voice/shout it out/hold fast to your friends/be true to yourself/stop trying to be like someone else.” Call it a middle finger to all the jocks that beat MXPX up in high school.

If you listen to the next song, “Well Adjusted,” and recognize it, you probably caught the Pepsi commercial from Superbowl XXXVII. MXPX played this song on stage while a shocked teenage boy ran into his dad in the muddy mosh pit.

MXPX has always gone through a lot of stereotyping and criticism for the religious references in their songs. Their Christian fans often complain that now they aren’t Christian enough, and hard-core punk fans may not like them because they are too Christian. The Christian lyrical references used more frequently in the beginning of their career are only slightly reflected in the inspirational songs such as “Play It Loud” and “You Make Me, Me.” In “You Make Me, Me” he sings: “Every night I get down on my knees and pray/And thank the lord above for you each day.”

Overall, this album is a lot of fun to listen to; you can’t help but find your foot tapping to the beats. If you are looking for something substantial for your music collection, then buy the new Radiohead. If you are looking for some catchy pop-punk anthems leaving you with a “fresh from the mosh pit” feeling, then Before and Everything After is the CD for you.