Dance production remembers important American history

By Ashley Ruszkowski

Pittsburgh-based dance company Attack Theater and Tokyo-based Nibroll join in a high-voltage… Pittsburgh-based dance company Attack Theater and Tokyo-based Nibroll join in a high-voltage multimedia dance event combining art, technology and culture to depict a message: How time shapes memory and how loss and devastation create it.

The artists in this production come from various backgrounds and disciplines. From computer animation to contemporary dance, classical musicianship to electrical accompaniment, “No-to: memory fades” is a production inspired by the showers of paper that fell when the World Trade Center collapsed. Artists have attempted, through various forms, to depict this culture-altering event and connect international ideals to it, yet “No-to” goes further and opens a line of communication through its expressive work.

“No-to,” translated from Japanese, means “notebook,” and this production has taken form via note-taking and journaling. Michele de la Reza and Peter Kope, dancers and co-founders of Attack Theater, reflect on the impact of the notebook. Alongside, Mikuni Yanaihara of Nibroll shares, from a non-western perspective, the moments and memories that are associated with time, be it the present, past or future.

According to de la Reza, “In creating this piece, many questions arose for us, questions that relate to how we cope with the experience of devastating, life-altering moments. Is the notebook the only place where memories stay present or do these memories fade away?”

“No-to” delves into memories and examines how time alters them, depicting not only the devastating events of Sept. 11, 2001, but also other pivotal moments in history such as World War II. This production uncovers shocking beauty in each instance and period of time.

“No-to” is not linear but can be considered a narrative piece, inviting audience members into the production, and onto the stage, to make their own interpretations and to open doors to reflective space. It has been said by some that this production has “brought hope for the future.”

Both the Pittsburgh-based Attack Theater and Tokyo-based Nibroll have performed internationally and been considered innovative groups. Both companies introduce new styles of dance and interpretation, welcome conversation and critique, and open themselves to cultural exchange.

Both Friday evening performances will have a post-show “talk back” session where the audience will have the opportunity to discuss themes, ask questions and share visions and interpretations with Attack Theater and Nibroll.

This is an international, multifaceted performance, with masterful dancers. The costume design is done in neutral colors with khaki and cargo fashioned attire. The movements are flexible, energetic, mechanic and moving. Overall, this production is a versatile experience, broadening the minds of viewers and offering a time and place for meditation and discussion.