Pittsburgh keeps heaving theatrical culture at you

By Patricia McNeill

Pittsburgh is rich in cultural opportunities. The city boasts many area theaters, each… Pittsburgh is rich in cultural opportunities. The city boasts many area theaters, each striving to bring something different to the city. It can be a little overwhelming when taking it all in: trying to figure out whether the Benedum Center or City Theatre is more your style, which bus you should take and what you should wear. If you’re seeing a show through Pitt Arts, for your class or just for fun, fear not – I’m here to walk you through it.

O’Reilly Theater, Pittsburgh Public Theater

The O’Reilly is a recently built theater and the newest home of the Pittsburgh Public Theater. Its shows are more mainstream and seem to tend toward crowd pleasers.

Though not all the shows will capture your heart, artistic director Ted Pappas is sure to capture your attention with his elaborate, well-designed sets. The O’Reilly is neither one of the largest theaters around, nor does its stadium-style seating have the intimacy of smaller theaters. Upcoming Shows: The Mikado, Accidental Death of an Anarchist, Mary Stuart

Box Office: (412) 316-1600

Price Range: $12 Student Tickets, otherwise $22-$46

Address: 621 Penn Avenue / Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Bus to take: Any 61 or 71 or the 500 will get you downtown to the cultural district, just ask the driver where to get off.

What to wear: An older crowd is usually in attendance, and slacks and skirts are typically worn. Few people wear jeans or jean skirts, but it has been done. Never wear shorts.

Website: http://www.ppt.org

City Theatre and Lester Hamburg Studio Theatre

This theater, located in Pittsburgh’s South Side, was originally the Bingham United Methodist Church, which accounts for its non-traditional set-up – you walk up stairs that could belong in your grandmother’s house to get to the main theater. The overall atmosphere is fun and energetic, and the concession area is usually themed for the production. The Lester Hamburg Studio Theatre, located right next door, offers a remarkably intimate theatre experience.

City Theatre is not afraid to stray from the mainstream, always offering the audience something fresh and provocative.

Upcoming Shows: String of Pearls, Lovely Day, Cafe Puttanesca, 2.5 Minute Ride

Box Office: (412) 431-CITY [2489]

Price Range: $10 Student Tickets, otherwise $28-$38

Address: 1300 Bingham ‘ 13th Street / Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Bus to take: 54C, but be careful to get off on Carson Street after 20th Street

What to wear: A younger, more hip crowd can be found at City Theatre, and fashions range there. Jeans and jean skirts will do just fine, and a bit dressier style won’t be out of place either.

Website: http://www.citytheatrecompany.org

Benedum Center, Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera

This cultural venue, in terms of theatre, mainly produces musicals. The lavish, old theater is the home of the Pittsburgh CLO, a musical theatre company. With the third-largest stage in the country, you can expect elaborate sets and flashy dance numbers. The PNC Broadway in Pittsburgh series is usually quite good and well worth the ticket price. The CLO performances, however, while often nicely put together, are not consistently impressive. Ballets, operas, and dance troupes can also be seen on the Benedum’s stage.

Upcoming Shows: Stomp, Swan Lake, Rhythm of the Dance, Urinetown: The Musical

Box Office: (412) 456-6666

Price Range: No student discounts. CLO: $12-$44; PNC Broadway: $20-$60.50

Address: 719 Liberty Avenue / Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Bus to take: Any 61 or 71, or the 500, will get you downtown to the cultural district, just ask the driver which stop.

What to wear: Absolutely no jeans. While audience members range from children to seniors, all are consistently dressed nicely. You will see many men in suits, or at least dress shirts and ties, and women often wear semi-formal dresses. You can’t go wrong with black pants (for both guys and girls) or a black skirt or dress.

Website: http://www.pgharts.org/venues/index.cfm (do a calendar search for the Benedum); for CLO: http://www.pittsburghclo.org

The Pittsburgh Playhouse, Point Park College

The Playhouse is made up of three smaller theaters: the Rauh, Rockwell and Studio theaters. Four different branches of the Playhouse perform in those theaters – Pittsburgh Playhouse Repertory Company, Playhouse Jr. (shows geared toward a younger audience), Playhouse Conservatory Company and Playhouse Dance Company.

The Repertory Company is the professional company and often puts out worthwhile shows that are unafraid to experiment and subvert expectations. The Conservatory Company’s cast is comprised of students of the Conservatory and, despite admirable efforts, often leaves something to be desired in the overall production.

Upcoming Shows: Not yet listed

Box Office: (412) 621-4445

Price Range: Student Discounts Available (call box office), otherwise Rep: $18-$22; Conservatory: $12-$14

Address: 222 Craft Avenue / Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Bus to take: The Playhouse is within walking distance from Oakland, but you can also take almost any bus that runs down Fifth Avenue, get off at Craft Avenue and walk straight down.What to wear: The audience is often a mix of young and old, thus there is a range of fashion. Look nice, but no need to get dressed up.

Website: http://www.ppc.edu/playhouse

Stephen Foster Memorial, University of Pittsburgh Repertory Theatre

Pitt’s own theatre company makes its home in the Stephen Foster Memorial, which holds the newly renovated and charmingly gothic Charity Randall Theatre and the intimate Henry Heymann, which is located down the stairs from the main level.

Pitt Rep’s productions are usually nice collaborations between faculty and undergraduates. It handles classics and old favorites well, and is unafraid to tackle new plays and take unconventional approaches. Like all theatre companies that take chances, sometimes it’s a hit and sometimes it’s a miss. I encourage everyone to buy a semester theatre pass and take advantage of this affordable theatre experience taking place on your own campus.

Upcoming Shows: Everything in the Garden, Mother Courage, Twelfth Night

Box Office: (412) 624-PLAY [7529]

Price Range: $10-$15 Student Tickets, $25 Semester Pass, otherwise $15-$30

Address: Next to the Cathedral of Learning, facing Forbes AvenueBus to take: No bus necessary if you’re in OaklandWhat to wear: Again, college theatre usually sees all types of fashion. Go with your mood, but you don’t need to go all out.

Website: http://www.pitt.edu/~play/index.html

Patricia McNeill strongly encourages you to get your own directions either online or by calling 4-FACT. She is not responsible if you get lost, but if you do, make it an adventure.