Returning players look to power offense

By MATT MILOSZEWSKI

Coming into camp this August, the Pitt football team boasts one of the strongest offenses in… Coming into camp this August, the Pitt football team boasts one of the strongest offenses in the Big East, and the country. With key players returning at every position, the Panthers will take the field with a potent, balanced and downright scary offensive attack.

“We got a nice blend; we can do both [run and pass],” offensive coordinator J.D. Brookhart said. “We just got a few guys to replace, but our diversity is exciting.”

Quarterback

For the first time in recent memory, the Panthers have a returning, undisputed starting quarterback. Redshirt senior Rod Rutherford has been steadily improving, and has helped turned Pitt into the offensive juggernaut it has become.

“After the [Texas] A’M game, [Rutherford] really took control of this offense and made it his. The offensive momentum started to grow from there,” Brookhart said.

With the multitalented Rutherford behind center, opposing defenses must be ready for anything.

“He does it all; he’s an imposing player,” Brookhart added.

Behind Rutherford on the depth chart are two local products; West Allegheny’s Tyler Palko and Steel Valley’s Luke Getsy. Last season, Palko won the battle for the backup position, and Getsy was redshirted.