Mya gets in the mood with latest, but fails to move some

By ASHLEY RUSZKOWSKI

Mooding

Mya

Interscope Records

With lyrics like “I…

Mooding

Mya

Interscope Records

With lyrics like “I hope you come and spend the night” and “I hope you have an appetite,” you are surely moved, or rather aroused with Mya’s latest release, Moodring. This album sends a message of womanpower and dominance – mostly sexual – in a relationship. However, the attempt to create this image was lost between her whining voice and her zealous ambition to follow patterns established by innovative pop artists like Mary J. Blige and Missy Elliot.

The song “Fallen” has a great beat and is sensual and sultry – a standout on the album. Also, “No Sleep Tonight” is another pick with a little more variety in rhythm that can easily make bodies sway. Both songs are catchy, but the 14 other songs sound like something heard before: complaints about other women stealing men, infidelity and bitchy girlfriends. Mya, however, stands out as a “Sophisticated Lady,” on track 5. She may need to get over herself before she can concentrate on keeping her man happy.

Mya explores lovemaking and the consequences of the act in “Late,” when she confesses that she is overdue for her monthly visitor, and that she has hit up Rite Aid and CVS trying to figure out when “he took a dip.” She confesses “I know my body and it’s driving me crazy.”

Well, surely her body is driving her crazy after all of the singing about sex. At least this song is a trip for many girls who have experienced being late – surely it will bring back memories or even arouse some laughter. Finally, someone sings about that predicament. Realize, though, it is more of a laugh than an artistic accomplishment.

As Mya says, “My main goal is to please you.” Mya is still young, but maybe next time, she will not worry as much about pleasing others and focus more on her art form. She has a unique voice and some decent lyrics. She just needs time to fully develop as an artist.

All in all, Moodring made me more moody than moved, and I don’t need an extra dose of that emotion.