Armed robbers invade Oakland home

By J. Elizabeth Strohm

Three incidents of armed robbery occurred in Oakland on the night of Tuesday, May 20 and in… Three incidents of armed robbery occurred in Oakland on the night of Tuesday, May 20 and in the early morning of Wednesday, May 21.

The first incident, a home invasion on the 300 block of Semple Street, occurred on May 20 at 10 p.m., when two men, armed with handguns, entered an unlocked apartment. The suspects demanded money, cell phones and jewelry from three people before fleeing the apartment on foot.

The three victims were students, according to Sgt. Walter Long of the Pittsburgh Police Robbery Squad, though the report did not verify that the students attend Pitt.

Hours later, at 3:30 a.m. on May 21, two men of similar descriptions approached several people from behind, again on the 300 block of Semple Street. Using guns and knives, the suspects robbed the victims and appeared to leave the area.

But ten minutes later, a man was robbed at gunpoint on the corner of Semple and Louisa streets. The description of the suspects, who fled on foot with $100 in cash and the victim’s cell phone, resembled those given by the other victims.

“It’s quite unusual to have all these robberies in a close area and a close period of time,” Pitt police Chief Tim Delaney said. Although crimes involving property damage or theft occur occasionally in Oakland, he said crimes involving assault are uncommon, and that no similar crimes have occurred since Wednesday morning.

According to Delaney, Pitt police are assisting the robbery section of the city police department in investigating the incidents, which have become a priority.

“What’s good for Pitt is good for Oakland, and what’s good for Oakland is good for Pitt,” Delaney said, explaining that Pitt and city police have worked closely for their mutual concern about the robberies.

“A lot of the time, it’s just hard work or, sometimes, luck – something happens somewhere else in the city and someone recognizes them,” Delaney said, offering a positive outlook on the investigation.

Although the suspects were described as wearing different clothing in each incident, all victims described them as two black men, both in their 20s, one between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet, and the other between 6 feet and 6 feet 4 inches in height.

“We’re following all our leads, and we’ve made some headway,” Long said about the robbery section’s progress on the case. He added that he could not provide many details about the case without endangering the investigation.

Police posted crime notices throughout the area on May 21 and have patrolled more heavily since the robberies, according to Delaney. Police recommend students take standard safety precautions, like not walking alone – especially at night – avoiding unfamiliar or deserted areas, being aware of surroundings and locking doors.

In an interview Aug. 13, Delaney said no one had positively identified a suspect as one of the robbers. He added, however, that a special robbery detail continues to work on the case. Overall crime in Oakland has also declined, he said, attributing the change to increased police presence.

“We’re being highly proactive in the area,” Delaney said. “Overall, my goal is to keep this type of action now, when the kids are coming back.”

Copies of the crime notice, as well as more information about the suspects, can be found on the Pitt police Web site at www.pitt.edu/~police. Anyone with information about the incidents should call the City of Pittsburgh police at 911, or the Pitt police at (412) 624-2121.