Yankees’ problems can be fixed with little money

By Kevin Nash

The New York Yankees have lost five games in a row, including a four-game sweep at the hands… The New York Yankees have lost five games in a row, including a four-game sweep at the hands of the Toronto Blue Jays.

Is it time to panic? Not according to Yankees owner George Steinbrenner. Steinbrenner told the New York Post he believes that manager Joe Torre will straighten out the team.

After getting off to a fast start, the Yankees are sinking fast. The ball club began the season 18-3 and has struggled ever since, as the Yankees are 11-19 over their past 30 games.

For the first time in Yankee history, they have lost 12 out of 13 games at Yankee Stadium, and are just 11-15 at home all season. Yankee Stadium is supposed to be an intimidating place to play, so what’s the problem? Are the Yankees doomed?

No. Their 18-3 record to start the season is the best in the franchise’s history. As much as it pains me to admit it, the Yankees have just hit a bump in the road.

They are paying their dues for getting off to such an impressive start. They just happened to have been playing a large portion of their games at home when their skid began.

The Yankees also have not had a healthy lineup.

Mariano Rivera started the season on the disabled list, Derek Jeter was put out for about six weeks on opening day due to a shoulder injury, and when he did get back, Bernie Williams went down with an injury. Nick Johnson has also made a trip to the disabled list.

After playing above expectations in spite of their injuries, the Yankees are playing like a team that is banged up.

The main question marks surround their pitching staff. Mike Mussina, David Wells and Roger Clemens have pitched well, for the most part, this season, but Andy Pettitte and Jeff Weaver have not been as good.

Steinbrenner went out and got Cuban pitcher Jose Contreras, who can also start. Contreras struggled early on, but Steinbrenner conceded in an interview with The Daily News that Contreras should be in the starting rotation and Weaver should return to the bullpen.

With the injury bug hitting the Yankees hard this season, Steinbrenner will probably be breaking out his checkbook in the near future. Who would be a good fit for the Yankees?

Bartlolo Colon can never seem to find a permanent home, and the White Sox don’t seem like they are going to contend this year. Colon would be the fourth starter in the rotation, which would push Pettitte down to fifth.

Besides, Clemens and Wells are coming to the ends of their careers, so Colon could be a long-term answer. The Yankees would not be giving up on Weaver and Contreras. These players are important pieces of the puzzle for the future.

Ken Griffey Jr. is also a name that comes up. A healthy Griffey would be a nice fit for the Yankees, but is also a huge risk because of his injury problems. Once Williams comes back, they could split time between center field and designated hitter.

Vladimir Guerrero is the player who I think would be best for the Yankees. The Expos might lose him anyway, and they should at least get something for him. Like Griffey, Guerrero could rotate in the outfield and could be the designated hitter for some games.

Steinbrenner has a huge wallet, so the Yankees will regain momentum, even if it means he has to go on another one of his spending sprees. Once the Yankees figure out their pitching rotation and Jason Giambi gets on track, look for the Yankees to reclaim first place in the American League East.

Kevin Nash is the assistant sports editor for The Pitt News and, after reading this column, don’t get it twisted. He still hates the Yankees, and is just one of many journalists offering insight into what is going on with them and how they can get back on track.