Who needs school when you have rock ‘n’ roll?

By Clinton Doggett

Here?s the plan: drop out of school, pack up the van and drive around the United States… Here?s the plan: drop out of school, pack up the van and drive around the United States looking for the real rock ?n? roll experience along with your bassist girlfriend and pocket full of grungy tunes. Such aspirations are surely shared by a vast army of guitar-toting, frizzy-haired rockers. Unlike most of them, Dimitri Coats? plans look as though they might just pan out.

In fact, the most interesting thing about the Burning Brides, a Philadelphia three-piece led by Coats, is their unyielding momentum. After spending a few hard years on the road, V2 Records ? see: White Stripes, Moby ? scooped up the band?s debut, Fall of the Plastic Empire, which was released last September. Then they were recruited to open for mega-group Audioslave on their recent tour.

In short, Burning Brides make boisterous rock with cutting hooks and hummable chorus lines. Their sound isn?t revolutionary, but it does well within the confines of traditional rock; so well that they?ve garnered enough attention to headline their own tour. Two other notable up-and-coming bands, My Morning Jacket and Detachment Kit, join them on the tour.Much like the Burning Brides, My Morning Jacket is among the influx of talented rockers recently experiencing success, having signed on with ATO and RCA records to release their upcoming LP. Hailing from Louisville, Kentucky ? a hometown that?s been shared by the likes of Will Oldham and Slint ? My Morning Jacket?s distinctiveness lies in their seemingly equal fascination with Neil Young, Galaxie 500 and Muppet Movies. The result is a unique brand of country-infused rock that dabbles in the fantastical. Such a combination has earned them attention from both independent and mainstream figures, as well as given them a solid stage reputation.

This reputation is akin to that of Detachment Kit, a Chicago quartet trained in post-punk and adept in constructing dark indie pop. Comparisons to bands like Les Savy Fav and Enon, therefore, have been warranted.

If you?re looking for a good, cheap time this Thursday, be sure to make it up to Club Laga for what will prove to be one of the best rock shows of the summer.