Delaney and Pitt police kepp students, Oakland safe

By Eric Miller

Coming to college: experiencing the freedom, meeting new friends and thinking about safety…. Coming to college: experiencing the freedom, meeting new friends and thinking about safety.

Safety?

OK, so maybe safety is not the first thing on the minds of new Pitt students. Regardless, it is something that can greatly change a student’s experience at the University, for better or for worse.

According to Pitt police Chief Tim Delaney, the keys to staying safe are being aware of your surroundings and using street smarts.

“It’s your common sense,” Delaney said. “We’re not an island; we’re not in a bubble.”

Simple safety practices, such as traveling in pairs, staying in well-lit areas and knowing the surrounding people in a social scene, can cut down on the number of uncomfortable situations in which students find themselves.

Delaney also recommended avoiding isolated areas, parks or vacant lots late at night.

“In any environment, if you’re looking for action at 3 in the morning, you will find it, or it will find you,” Delaney said.

While Pitt’s urban location might seem intimidating to some students at first, it’s important to remember that crimes happen everywhere, on city and rural campuses alike. Instead of missing out on all the cultural experiences a city like Pittsburgh offers, students just need to remember to watch out for themselves and be aware of their surroundings.

Delaney also said that students should not leave open drinks unattended at parties. If a drink has been left out of a student’s sight, the best idea is to dispose of it and get a new one.

Moreover, Delaney emphasized the safety of the University area, provided students stay aware. Both Pitt police and city-commissioned officers patrol Oakland at all hours of the day and night, keeping an eye on things.

If a student is in a difficult situation, the police can be reached by picking up one of the 330 emergency phones scattered around campus, signified by the blue lights perched on top. Students can also call 911, or 811 from campus phones. The police are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“When you don’t know what to do, call the police,” Delaney said.

While Pitt police are available to help students whenever possible, sometimes students find the police calling on them.

According to Delaney, the most common reason that students wind up in trouble with Pitt police is alcohol. Pitt police practice a zero-tolerance policy, meaning that any amount of underage drinking, no matter how small, has consequences. For a first-time offense, students receive a citation and a fine of up to $500. With each further infraction, the consequences become more severe.

Besides underage drinking problems with the police, students can best avoid any trouble by being cooperative with the officers.

“I want them to have fun, but at the same time, they have to think about what they’re doing,” Delaney said.