Student government of CGS stays in WPU

By Lauren Unger

The College of General Studies Student Government will not move from the William Pitt… The College of General Studies Student Government will not move from the William Pitt Union next year, according to a memo from Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies and Dean of Students Jack Daniel. Rather, it doesn’t know where it will be moving within the Union.

“Yes we’re staying [in the Union], but where are we staying?” asked CGS Student Government President Jillian Costigan.

Daniel’s memo, sent Monday, accepted CGS Student Government’s decision to stay in the Union. It also assured the student government members that Daniel will “continue to work effectively with them as [Daniel does] with all other student organizations.”

The possible change of location for the group is part of the space allocation process that began in early fall. It was at that time that the William Pitt Union Space Allocation Committee was formed to evaluate the way space was used in the Union. Student leaders from various groups met to review suggestions submitted by the student groups and to make recommendations about how Union space should be redistributed.

That was when changing the group’s location really began to be discussed, according to Costigan.

The main proposal was to move CGS Student Government from Room 615 of the Union to the fourth floor of the Cathedral of Learning. By moving the location, the student government would be under the administration of CGS rather than Student Affairs.

But the CGS Student Government had concerns about the move, feeling that it would further isolate the nontraditional students, who often feel left out of the loop, according to Costigan.

At a March 28 meeting, Costigan expressed her concern with the future displacement of the student government. She also said there was also a good deal of ambiguity about the services that would be made available to CGS Student Government.

Daniel assured the student government members that they would only be moved from the Union if that was what the students wanted. He requested that Associate Dean of CGS Kevin Altomari create a memo citing the facilities available to the student government in an effort to erase any ambiguity. At the same time, he asked CGS Student Government to put its final decision in writing.

Altomari’s memo, sent on March 28, said that CGS could offer one office in the Cathedral. Altomari said that no support staff would be available for the student government, citing CGS’ recent reorganization as the reason. The memo also detailed the closer relationship CGS and its student government could foster if placed together.

“Clearly, the physical proximity would evolve into a working relationship that is different than what presently exists,” he wrote.

Within the next few days Costigan replied to Daniel in a memo, stating the group’s desire to stay in the Union.

“After much deliberation, the CGS Student Government feels that it is not in our organization’s best interest to leave the William Pitt Union,” she wrote.

The group later received the memo from Daniel, securing their location in the Union.

Costigan expressed relief at the idea that the student government would stay in the Union and remain the same as far as group status.

“It feels good that the strength of the student government is confirmed in the future. It feels stable,” she said.

At the same time, Costigan had concerns about the way the process was carried out and the fact that the student government does not know to where it will be moving.

“The problem with this year is that there’s been little communication,” she said. “Change is not bad and decisions have already been made, so just be honest and open so we can roll with the punches.”

Daniel was not available for comment Thursday.