Panthers defeat Villanova for fifth win in a row

By KEVIN NASH

The Pitt women’s tennis team went above the .500 mark for the first time in two months with a… The Pitt women’s tennis team went above the .500 mark for the first time in two months with a 7-0 win over the Villanova Wildcats on Saturday.

Pitt (9-8 overall, 1-3 Big East) won its sixth match in a row and has not been over .500 since losing to Virginia Tech Jan. 31, part of an eight-game losing streak.

“Our team has now won six matches in a row, which is a very good accomplishment to get us to 9-8,” head coach George Dieffenbach said. “It was a tough stretch. When you go through eight straight losses it makes you think what you have to do [to get better].”

Jill Williams and Laura Pegula teamed up to win their No. 1 doubles match, 8-4. Nikki Borza and Hayley Hughes followed suit with an 8-6 victory of their own over Villanova’s Jess Rybacki and Kelly McAndrews at No. 2 doubles.

Williams came back in her No. 1 singles match and defeated Jen Zick in three sets. Zick won the first set 6-4, but Williams battled back to win the final two sets 6-3 and 6-2 respectively. At No. 2 singles, Borza defeated Courtney Flezzani in straight sets 6-3 and 6-1.

“It has been a positive to watch Nikki Borza’s progress [and] it was a strong comeback win by Jill Williams.” Dieffenbach said.

Pegula won her first set in No. 3 singles competition 6-2 vs. Rybacki. Rybacki stormed back with a 6-4 win in the second set. In the final set, Pegula defeated Rybacki 7-5.

Becky Emmers made quick work of the Wildcats’ Erica Walter as she defeated Walter 6-4 and 6-2 in straight sets at No. 4 singles. Hughes also only had to play two sets at No. 5 singles. She won the first set 6-3 and finished the match with a 6-2 win in set two.

Jena Fiore closed out the match at No. 6 singles by also winning in straight sets. She defeated Lindsey Puchyr 6-3 in both sets.

“All of the matches were close, but the team really wants to finish the season with a winning record,” Dieffenbach said. “They are really clicking as a team; that’s a good sign.”

The Panthers are next in action at St. Francis (Pa.) on April 2 beginning at 2 p.m.

“Our team is peaking at the right time of the season,” Dieffenbach said. “They are playing together and they are unified.”