Panthers split doubleheader with Rutgers

By Ryan Faloon

It took more than seven hours to play two games, but the Pitt baseball team picked up… It took more than seven hours to play two games, but the Pitt baseball team picked up its 20th win of the season Friday afternoon.

The Panthers (20-9 overall, 3-5 Big East) defeated Rutgers, 5-4, in the first game of the doubleheader before falling, 7-5, to the Scarlet Knights in the second match. Despite reaching the 20-win mark rather quickly, the loss in game two continues a recent slump for the Panthers, who have now lost five of their last eight games.

Pitt 5, Rutgers 4

It was Rutgers (8-12, 2-2) who struck first in the opening game of this doubleheader. An RBI-single by Vinny Esposito in the top of the first inning put the score at 1-0 in favor of the Scarlet Knights.

Pitt didn’t hesitate to respond, however, picking up two runs of its own in the bottom of the second inning. Alex Rybczak tied the game with a leadoff home run and Ben Copeland gave the Panthers the lead with an RBI-single.

Rutgers answered back with another RBI single by Esposito in the third, but the Panthers would not let the Scarlet Knights jump back in front. A sacrifice fly by Stuart Rykaceski helped the Panthers regain their lead in the bottom half of the inning.

The score was tied once again in the top of the fifth inning after an RBI-single by Jeff Frazier of Rutgers. Rykaceski once again answered back, bringing home another run in his next at bat.

A small rally in the final inning of play by Rutgers tied the score yet again at 4-4. However, Pitt’s hero of the game stepped to the plate one last time in the bottom of the seventh to put the Scarlet Knights away. Once again it was Rykaceski who helped the Panthers regain the lead, and this time it was enough to end the game and give Pitt a 5-4 victory.

Jeff Barnyak was credited for the Pitt win, improving his record to 3-0. Barnyak replaced starter Nick Evangelista in the fifth inning, allowing one run on just two hits.

Rutgers 7, Pitt 5

This time it was the Panthers who struck first, jumping to an early 1-0 lead in the first inning. But like the first game, an early lead didn’t lead to a victory.

The Pitt lead lasted through two innings with the score 2-1. Rutgers got the bulk of its runs in the third inning to take over the lead, which it was able to hold for the remainder of the game.

Four runs were scored in the third for the Scarlet Knights including a two-run homer by Steve Normane. By inning’s end, the game was in favor of Rutgers with the score at 5-2.

A pair of RBI doubles by Chris Papst and Joe Burger brought life back into the Panther offense, cutting Rutgers’ lead to 5-4 in the bottom of the third.

Pitt took advantage of a Rutgers’ mistake in the sixth inning as Bryan Spamer scored on an error. The Scarlet Knights regained their lead in the seventh inning to go ahead 6-5.

Pitt looked to retake the lead again in the eighth inning, loading the bases with no outs. The Panthers failed to capitalize, however, as O.J. DeChristofno struck out consecutive batters and forced Rykaceski to fly out to end the inning.

An insurance run was scored by the Scarlet Knights in the ninth, as they hung on to win 7-5.

Failing to bring home runners was a problem for Pitt in this marathon doubleheader against Rutgers. The Panthers left a total of 21 runners on base in the two games.

The loss was only the second of the year for Pitt at Trees Field. Its home record now stands at a notable 9-2.

The split in the doubleheader keeps the two teams in the same spots in the Big East standings. Rutgers remains one place ahead of the Panthers, as Pitt holds the eighth place spot in the conference.