Pitt women dominate track meet

By BOBBY PUGH

Take it outside.

After a dominating indoor season, the Pitt track and field teams headed… Take it outside.

After a dominating indoor season, the Pitt track and field teams headed outdoors for their first outdoor meet of the season when it traveled to Charlotte, N.C., for the 49er Classic.

The Panther women dominated their competition as they grabbed top honors in six events while also earning two runner-up titles and one third place finish.

Maureen McCandless ran to the top spot in the 3,000 meters in a time of 9 minutes, 56.02 seconds, while racing to a fifth place finish in the 1,500 meters. Tamara McGill earned first place in the high jump with a leap of 1.70 meters. McGill also finished second in the 100-meter hurdles with a time 13.90 seconds.

Freshman Marissa Dudek vaulted to her first outdoor title of the season in the pole vault, clearing the 3.65-meter bar. With Melanie Carter having the weekend off, Pitt triple jumper Colleen Scott didn’t miss a beat as she took the triple jump title with a jump of 12.95 meters.

With a time of 59.90 seconds, Elizabeth Bayne hurdled her way into first place in the 400-meter hurdles. The Panthers also used Bayne’s talent to anchor the winning 4 x 400-meter relay team, which posted a time of 3:47.53. Joining Bayne were Trenace Elliott, Lamoy Stephens and DeAnna Cole.

Elliott dashed to a third place finish in the 200 meters in a time of 24.68 seconds, while teammate Kelly O’Connell raced to a runner up finish in the 5,000 meters in a time of 18:20.49.

In men’s action, the Panthers had a more difficult time breaking out with only one first place finish.

Pole vaulters Matt Brousse and Jason King shared the pole vault title with matching vaults of 4.75 meters. The vault by King was his personal best, while Brousse remained consistent in the event.

The javelin event gave Pitt a sweep of second through fourth places as Pitt relied on its field events to carry the Panther men. Mike Kennedy, Shawn Paronish and Tony Bonura threw 64.40 meters, 61.40 meters and 61.05 meters respectively to give the Panthers a solid presence in the javelin.

Mike Stellefson continues to throw well as he tossed the discus 49.30 meters, earning fourth place.

The Panthers return to the track this weekend when the team will split its squad to travel to two different meets. Some of the Panthers will travel to Raleigh, N.C., for the Raleigh Relays, while the other half will travel to Palo Alto, Calif., for the Stanford Invitational.