Nine-game win streak brings softball team to .500

By RYAN FALOON

A nine-game winning streak is enough to make any team happy, especially after starting the… A nine-game winning streak is enough to make any team happy, especially after starting the season with a 5-14 record. With its ninth consecutive win yesterday, the Pitt softball team miraculously evened out its record, making it 14-14 on the year.

The Panthers swept the Cleveland State Vikings Wednesday afternoon in their final doubleheader before Big East play begins. Home field advantage was effective once again, as the Panthers remain unbeaten at their home this year with an 8-0 record.

Pitt 9, Cleveland State 0

Earlier in the week, Pitt pitcher Nikki Gasti was honored as Big East pitcher of the week, and third baseman Kelly Hulpa was selected as co-player of the week in the conference. The two Panthers showed off their talents in this four-inning blowout, as they each dominated in their own ways.

Gasti took the mound for the Panthers, picking up a remarkable 10th win of the season. The Vikings were unable to hit Gasti’s strikes, as she allowed no runs and only one hit, striking out 11 batters.

The Panthers offense was just as productive, as their bats pounded the pitching of Cleveland State’s Jessica Miller.

Hulpa set an individual school record in the bottom of the third inning, becoming Pitt’s all-time leader in home runs with a two-run shot. Hulpa’s blast, which is her third of the season, added two RBIs to her team-leading total of 22.

Hulpa and company put together enough runs to end the game after the top of the fifth inning, as the eight-run mercy rule went into effect.

Pitt 6, Cleveland State 1

Another phenomenal pitching performance allowed the Panthers to cruise to victory in game two of the doubleheader. Senior Janelle Pepe captured her fourth win of the season, allowing only one earned run.

The Panthers jumped out to an early lead once again and never looked back. By scoring two runs on three hits in the bottom of the second inning, the Pitt lead was 2-0.

After a triple by Francesca DiMaria, a massive two-run home run to left field by Casey Pickard increased the Panthers lead to 5-0.

A lonesome highlight for the Vikings occurred in the top of the fifth inning when Stephanie Taylor hit a double. A sacrifice fly would later advance Taylor to score a run, but nothing more would come out of the inning for Cleveland State.

Another run by the Panthers would assure a victory for Pepe, as she went on to pitch another complete game.

The Panthers’ pitching has shown signs of improvement in recent weeks, and the offense has been hitting the ball in all the right places. With Notre Dame in town Saturday, the real test will begin to see whether the Panthers can control the Big East conference that is certainly up for grabs this season.

Pitt will play a total of four games this weekend with two against Notre Dame and two against Syracuse. Conference play against Notre Dame begins at 11:30 Saturday morning in a doubleheader at Trees Field.